Holding a Model While Painting

I am painting another model and once again I am struggling with holding the various parts while I spray them.

Are there any ideas out there for something that holds a model while you paint it? Right now I hang the parts from wire and work around them as best as possible.

That reminds me, what about lighting? How does everyone light their project for painting? Do you use a portable light or just the room light?

Thanks,

Reply to
Tom

One really good way that I've seen is to hold it by the motor mount. It's been so long since I've painted a model over all that I can't remember whether I've actually done it myself, but it's certainly how I'll do it when I get to that point.

------------------------------------------- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

You should never touch the areas that you're painting with your bare hands once you've prepped the surface. The oil in your skin can really screw up the finish and even cause fish-eyes. I normally use a wire clothes hanger, unwrapped hung from somewhere in the garage.

Best,

Randy

Reply to
Randy Wentzel

If I am painting a complete model or large parts I hang them from a wire. For small parts I either use an alligator clip on an extension or a wire that is bent so I have 2 prongs. Squeeze it and the prongs come together, release it and the prongs expand. This I put inside the piece to be painted and let the prongs hold it.

For lighting I have a 2 tube overhead fluorescent light plus 2 clamp on lamps with 300 watt bulbs in each. These show up any flaws. Just be careful with the clamp on lamps, the metal shield get quite hot and it is easy to get burned if you are not careful.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I've never painted a large model airplane but I do paint miniatures. I have found that natural light or a close resemblance to it is the best for seeing the real color and showing any flaws. Phillips makes a series of flourescent bulbs that cast a very natural light and are good for supplementing good ol' sunlight when needed. I think GE also makes incandescent bulbs with the same characteristics. Might be good for those clamp ons!

Reply to
rcflyer620