Iwata Instructions Conflict / Sprue Painting

All,

I have two unrelated questions:

First, I've just received an Iwata Eclipse CS. I've never used an airbrush in my life, but am excited to test this on an upcoming Corsair project. The airbrush instructions state that Iwata's beginning compressor supplies 25-30 psi and is good for beginners. Yet, the air pressure section states that 45 psi is needed to "take full advantage" of the airbrush. I've read about thinning the paint to the consistency of milk, and that pressures will vary, but here's the question:

Using properly thinned paint, what is the pressure that you usually use for your aircraft model airbrushing? I'm talking basic paint here--not Future etc.

Second, I've heard several differing thoughts on painting parts while still on the sprues. If I paint the part while it's still on the sprue, when I cut it off, there is a very small unpainted area where the sprue was attached. How do you cover this up? Do you re-airbrush that spot? Or just touch with a brush? Any other thoughts? I've been removing pieces completely and then painting, but an IPMS buddy of mine swears by leaving them on the sprue.

Thanks in advance for your insight & responses.

Regards,

Dingo

on 10/13/2007 11:57 AM Dingo said the following:

I've read that the pressure for spraying models is between 10 and 20 psi.

Painting on the sprue has its advantages. You can spray everything at once with the base color, and/or just spray certain items with different colors . The best thing is that you have a handle on the parts, so you can turn the parts easier for spraying. The disadvantages are the flash and sprue connectors that have to be cut off and sanded. You can use a brush or a quick spray to cover them up.

Reply to
willshak

First read this:

(the Holowchuk tips are a treasure-trove of information)

Second... 45PSI for our use is way too much. That's the sort of pressure I use when I want to clean it by shooting lacquer thinner through it (it's fast at that pressure). Someone said 10-20PSI..I rarely get as low as 12 or 13, but do max out around 20. At 20, you've got an awful lot of air and the paint may dry before hitting the model. When that happens, you get a very rough surface. Start around 15PSI and see how it feels.

On sprue or off? I always always always do it off. I think the beauty of airbrushing is the perfect surface that you get. If you clean up with a paint brush later, chances are that you're going to mess it up.

For my last project, I had a bunch of bombs to paint. I painted them in two airbrush sessions. First session, I shot everything execpt the rear of the bombs. I had them stuck to masking tape on a piece of cardboard so couldn't paint their rear ends. The next session with the same color, I held the front of the bombs with masking tape and shot the rear ends. It was no big deal.

The more you get used to your airbrush, the faster you'll be with color changes and won't be intimidated about shooting your models. I frequently will do several colors in an airbrushing session, going from light to dark, and just shooting lots of lacquer thinner through the brush in between colors.

Have fun!! You've just taken a HUGE step forward in modeling.

Oh, what's your air source?

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Dingo at snipped-for-privacy@i.never.check.this.address.yahoo.com wrote on 10/13/07 11:57 AM:

I almost always airbrush at 15 psi with the paint, as you say, thinned to about the consistency of milk. It may be that you can use slightly thicker paint at higher pressure, which may cover more easily. It's something you could experiment with. You definitely have to be careful about using too much pressure with over-thinned paint -- it becomes more difficult to avoid puddling or bullseyes where too much paint is applied too wet to a small area.

If the attachment point is going to be visible, I think it's more efficient to detach the part before painting. You're probably going to have to do some minor surfacing at the attachment point; if there's already paint in the area, it just gets in the way. I use the cover to an old cookie tin. I make a flattened loop of masking tape with the adhesive out. Thetape sticks to the cover, and the parts to be painted stick to the tape.

HTH. Pip Moss

Reply to
Pip Moss

Still in the process of looking, but I'm going for an air compressor...

Thanks again for the reply!

Reply to
Dingo

well at that site I sent in the last posting, there's a link to Bill Johnson's CO2 set up. If you're in a condo or something, it may be the way to go and the quality is excellent. With CO2, you never have to be concerned about moisture in your compressor's tank etc.

Compressors are easier to come by..Lowe's, Home Depot, you name it. Make sure to get one with a tank. It makes a huge different to the consistency of your air pressure.

Have fun --- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Or print the Hobby Lobby certificate for 40% off and get an Iwata compressor for about $150...

Reply to
Scherer