Spray painting ?

Is a gast pump suitable for use as a air supply to run a spray paint gun? Do i need to add a air tank to smooth out the pulsating air coming from the pump? This pump puts out 30psi with no problem.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

How many CFM at 30PSI??? It is the volume that is generally the killer.

Reply to
clare

Don't know the CFM, this pump was originaly used to power a texture spray gun. Its driven by 1.5hp 3450rpm motor.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

30 psi MIGHT work on an HVLP gun but you need to know the CFM rating.
Reply to
Steve W.

What *kind* of spray paint gun? One of the little airbrush guns would work well with that. However, a big one of the size used for auto painting would probably consume too much air. Also -- is the pressure enough for the gun?

And what kind of Gast pump for that matter. What I've used are rotary graphite vane pumps, and everything below applies to that. However, I've seen other types of pumps made by Gast on eBay, so if you have something else, that may not be a problem..

Note that the Gast pumps need some airflow all the time. I've seen one burn out because the airflow was blocked. And trying to pump a tank up to 30 PSI would probably be a problem too.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

HVLP is what i intend to use.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Yes it is a rotoray vane pump, i was thinking of using a HVLP spray gun. Its a fairly large pump driven by a 1.5hp motor.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

Then it will likely work with an accumulator (small tank)

Reply to
clare

See what the CFM is. The pressue would work with the two guns I have but they both want HIGH flow rates.

Reply to
Steve W.

Give it a try. If it fails to live up to your expectations, add an air tank (air pig, propane bottle, etc.) until it can keep up with whatever you require of it.

-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Reply to
Larry Jaques

HVLP

High Volume Low Pressure

Reply to
Richard

probably not a full sized gun - please post the rest of your requirements before re-asking the question - what is the flow required by the gun, at what pressure. Please also understand that GAST has a web site on which they identify the characteristics of all of their pumps - you will find much more accurate information at that location. Please note that rotary vane pumps are unlikely to supply more than 30 psi, and that the oilless pumps add carbon to the exhaust air while the oil type add oil to the exhaust air. You will need to determine if your painting requirements can tolerate either oil or carbon added to the finish.

Reply to
Bill

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Proably not the best choice for that kind of gun. The "HV" of "HVLP" stands for "High Volume", and the Gast pumps are not what I would consider high volume by any means. You mentioned the pressure, and the horsepower, but not the CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) -- compare that to the requirements for the HVLP gun you have or are considering.

And *don't* let the pump keep running while there is no airflow. You *will* eventually burn out at least the motor, if not the vanes. The ones at work which were used as mild vacuum sources (thus were blocked most of the time) had a bleeder adjustment to keep some air flowing through it even when the object being driven (e.g. a vacuum chuck on a photoresist spinner) was sitting there preventing airflow. Every so often, we had to swap out the pump and clean and rebuild the head on the one which was starting to overheat.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols