Spray can nozzles

Is it me and advancing age? Or did the paint can Mfrs. increase the pressure required to operate the standard paint spray can nozzle? I seem to remember
that I could just about empty a can before my finger got a permanent dent. Now I don't get 1/4 of the can before my forearm goes into seizure and my finger is in pain.
Stu
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

Phil Graham was right ;)

I find that I cannot empty the can before the valve plugs up. Not the nozzel but the valve in the can top Krylon seems to be the worst now. Hate buying a can and throwing away more than half because I cannot get anything out
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
<snip>

Not recently, but have had the same problem with Rustoleum. I figured they reformulated their mixture and/or didn't like freezing temps in my garage. I try to keep everything someplace where it doesn't freeze now. This was ~5 years ago. Just been buy no-name cheap stuff ever since that amazingly hasn't had that problem so far. But I don't use it as much as I once did either...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I won't buy paint in spray cans. Rust-O-Leum primer and enamels are good examples of why -- the stuff in spray cans is a completely different formulation, and nowhere near as good as the stuff they sell for brushing. Except for some model paints, I haven't bought a spray can for 20 years.
I have a Badger "spray can," which is just a siphon-type mini spray gun, and I use it for all the jobs for which I'd otherwise use a regular spray can. A convenient way to supply air for ordinary jobs around the house is a spare car tire and a Badger adapter for it. For heavier paints I heat the jar in hot water until it will spray, or, as a last resort, I'll thin it. The simple gun cleans up in about two minutes.
It also suits my personality: it's cheap as dirt. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:15:13 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
<snip>

I have a small touch-up gun that works well and air-brush setup, but... you have to get paint into the cup, thin paint, hook to air compressor, take care of left over paint, clean gun, put away all said above. I'm not that ambitious anymore.
I want to grab can off shelf, shake the daylights out of it for several minutes, spray paint object, blow out/clear nozzle, put away, wait for paint to dry. This used to be the way it worked. Still have old ancient cans that work that way. Pipe bumper on my truck still has black Rust-Oleum put on this way 25 years ago...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I have a touch-up gun, too, and a small portable compressor, but using the Badger "spray can" is much quicker and easier. But it's not as simple as shaking and spraying, it's true. I've just never found the Badger sprayer to be enough trouble that it would make me go back to regular spray cans. When I pump up a tire with my compressor, I usually can use it for several jobs before filling it again.

Ed, I've been sleeping under a rock...
I've not heard of this product. is this the item? http://www.ehobbies.com/bad2501.html
I'd like to try one.
Karl

That's their newer, fancier one. I've had mine for 30 years, and I have one my uncle made 60 years ago. Simple siphon sprayers are a really easy job for anyone with a lathe. All you need to machine are the siphon nozzle, the air nozzle, and the air-hose fitting. The rest is a piece of plastic tube and a glass jar with lid. An ordinary commercial coil spring is usually used to hold the adjustment on the nozzle. The one my uncle made is maybe twice as big as the Badger.
I've looked at that newer one you've linked to in a store, and it looks good. I think that it's the same thing with a zippier design. Being one of the original cheapskates, I don't think I'll buy one until my present one wears out. I give it another 20 years. <g>
Let us know how you like it if you do get one, Karl. And check with Badger on their tire conversion gadget. I think I paid $3 or so for mine, 25 years ago. It really is handy. (Oh, looking at that page, I think it's the same thing as their Propel regulator. It screws into a can of Propel or an ordinary Schrader valve stem. And it's included with the $18.99 kit! Good deal.)
-- Ed Huntress
I just placed an order. i repainted the Ford 2000 tractor this spring and missed a couple minor spots. i still have the paint but don't want to refill (and clean) the HLVP paint gun.
Karl

'Hope it works out for you, Karl. Anything heavy will have to be heated if you don't like to thin it too much. I don't, so I keep a pan of hot water handy when I'm using those paints. I cover the jar with aluminum foil so it doesn't get wet and just plunk the jar in the water. Then I either wrap a dish towel around the jar or wear gloves, if it's too hot to handle.
You'll also find that coarse-ground paints may clog the nozzle. Some house paint is pretty coarse-ground. But that's pushing it, anyway. It's really not made for those paints.
-- Ed Huntress
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:12:41 -0400, "Ed Huntress"

<snip>
That looks an awful lot like my airbrush setup. I haven't used it for ~20 years so my memory is a bit foggy. About the only difference I notice off hand is the airbrush kits usually come with 3-4 bottles and covers. Makes it easy to switch paint mid-stream.
I have used my airbrush to do touch up work on my truck. Used some of the leftover paint (lacquer type) from the body shop that did some repair work earlier in its life. It worked fine for that.
I made a small inline air tank with its own mini-regulator, moisture trap and quick couplers. At the time I was using one of the little oiless teflon cylinder compressors. Set the compressor on ~25 psi and then adjust the regulator coming off the little tank (maybe 2 gallon) to what you want for spraying. It worked well. Little tank works with my bigger compressor too.
The touch-up guns work well for this also. Mine came from Grainger's ~20 years ago (~$70). HF has a knock-off now that looks very much like it. See:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber
I still don't like cleaning them up, even though it isn't terribly bad to do so. Much easier to blow out the nozzle and set the spray can back on the shelf :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Karl Townsend wrote:

I've got one of those. Dirt simple to use and clean. Two thumbs up!
--Winston
Leon Fisk wrote:

The usual cause is the can is simply not shaken enough before using...
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:17:32 -0500, cavelamb himself

I don't think so in this case. They changed something. I have ancient cans (30 years old) that still work. Around 10 years ago they started doing something different with them.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

Yep, and you really have to shake them now.
I had a bunch of Zinc Chromate replacement stuff that didn't want to spreay well. Shook them on a real paint shaker for a couple of minutes and they shaped right up.
Without the internal solvent (propane days) the solids seem to clump up in the bottom. That clogs the tunes and the can is useless.
Cheap cans are a lot worse too.
For what it's worth...
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
cavelamb himself wrote:

SATS... I just washed my hands and can't do a thing with them.
--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:32:03 -0500, cavelamb himself

Well, Rust-Oleum is far from cheap. I still have the problem cans, way too much paint left in them to just toss. I'll give your "super shake" plan a try next time I feel ambitious. Got nothing to lose trying it :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I usually do the shaking in a stream of hot running water under the swing faucet. The heat thins the paint, making it mix better and spray better. The heat raises the pressure of the propellant, which is also good.
But don't do what my friend did. He put the spray can in a coffee can of water, and heated it on the stove. While it was heating, he went outside, "just for a minute," and got distracted talking to a neighbor. The pressure built up in the spray can until the bottom blew out. It shot up like a rocket, punched a hole in his ceiling, bulged the bottom of the coffee can, broke the stove grate, and sprayed red paint all over his kitchen
Leo Lichtman wrote:

Or what this Darwin Award winner did:
Do the words "Do not puncture or incinerate can" mean nothing anymore?
About a year ago my curious mind became interested in learning the outcome of the lawsuit by the woman's daughters. I couldn't find anything definite, but a respondent on alt.legal checked it out through his connections and said he couldn't find any evidence that it was settled in favor of the plaintiffs.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)