pressure washers

Can the output pressure of the small 4-6 hp gas pressure washers be turned down? For example could a 4hp 2000psi/2.0gpm karcher be turned down to ~1300psi? If not could the intake source be restricted to slow the flow? I have a small electric 1300psi unit which is ideal for my application but the gas one are not available in this size.

Reply to
Habbi

You can lower the presure by making the output hole a little bit bigger. Use a small welding nozzle file up the hole.

Reply to
newby

Using a larger GPM nozzle will lower output pressure. I just bought a new 2700 PSI pressure washer and I can turn the output pressure way down. It all depends on the pump. A better made unit will have an adjustable pump output, but some of the cheap ones are fixed. Also changing spring pressure on the regulator section will cause pressure to increase or decrease. Simple fix is use a nozzle with a larger orifice and spray pattern width.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy Hauer

The bigger ( 11 to 16 HP) pressure washers have a dial to turn down the pressure. Not sure about the 4 to 6 Hp, you might check them at Home Depot.

Reply to
ATP

My 2700 psi 6.5 hp has a fully adjustable range of pressures via knob on the pump. This adjustable feature is more a feature of a quality pump than it is of pump size. OEM pumps such as those made for bottom line pumps as found on a lot of Coleman are fixed. But look at a higher end unit of same pressure rating with an AR or Cat or Comet puymp and its more than likely to be adjustable. As far as pressure washers are cocerned, (to me at least) I look at the pump first, and motor second. A washer with a AR, CAT or Comet pump should provide years of service if taken care of. A GX series Honda motor or I/C motor from B & S shuld also provide years of service.