anyone know what a "pork chop pancake" drill is?

You'd think the pic would be self-evident, but in this case it isn't. I don't have any particular interest in this item, I'm just curious. Anyone know what these are used for?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Interesting. It looks like they would be good for drilling where there is limited space, like the inside wall of an I-beam or channel.

Fred

Reply to
ff

After some searching, I found a subsidiary of Snap-On called ATI:

Apparently, they're used in aircraft sheetmetal fabrication and repair, but they didn't say exactly how. And the 'buy it now' price didn't look too bad...the things go for about $150 to $270 each:

HTH's

-- Bill Browne Excalibur

Claims, Taft-Hartley Fund, & Pension Administration Software

Reply to
Bill Browne

They are for drilling holes where you could not otherwise reach. Primarily in aircraft sheet metal fabrication and repair. There are a large number of short drills and reamers, as well as countersinks and deburring tols available with the standard thread on them (1/4-28, or

9/32-40, to match the drill motors you may have.

Nice stuff to have when you need them. Not money well spent if you don't.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Reply to
Russ Haggerty

AKA offset drill adapter...used to drill in tight areas where a standard drill motor is too big to get into. We use them quite a bit on bulkhead pockets, where you need to drill a couple of holes through the web or side of the pocket. They make them in various lengths and in standard and reverse modes. Reverse mode ones are used to drill where you have to pull on the drill rather than push.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

I didn't but I do now. They stuff you need for working on airplanes never ceases to amaze me.

There is actually a drive (chain or gears?) in those and the drill shanks have a threaded mount.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Generally gears. There will be an even or odd numbe of them depending on which side the input is on and which way the drill bit must turn.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones