cutting torch guide with "clockwork" speed control

I recently read "Shop Savvy" by I think Mountebank, and in it he goes on about
how to do precision cutting with a cutting torch. He describes a torch guide
which holds the torch a constant distance above the workpiece, which guides its
movement in a straight line, and which uses a "clockwork" to control speed. I
posted this recently, inquiring how this might have worked. Well, anyway one
closed on ebay tonight (no I didn't win the auction). I saved the auction image:

The auction
text
says the item was made in Sweden.
I'd be real interested to know how this works.
Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Reply to
Grant Erwin
I saw a similar machine, run with a variable speed motor, in Los Angeles many years ago. They were cutting the 8 ft. dia. base gear for a dragline out of 8" thick plate with a template. Very impressive. Bugs
Reply to
Bugs
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Are you specifically interested in the "clockwork" mechanism or in the idea of a guided torch for precision cutting? I can't help you with the clockwork but the track torch has been around for quite a while and I've even run across a few at auctions. Here's more info:
There is also a pattern tracing version that uses a motor with a magnetic roller on it to follow the outside edge of a metal pattern a move the torch. In fact there's a book available that has plans for one along with a few other tools that are handy in the shop like a hydraulic press and sheetmetal brake IIRC. I have a copy somewhere and will see if I can find it if you want the title and author.
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
Reply to
Keith Marshall
Grant, Possibly some kind of "friction wheel" (designed in a "bulldozer track" shape to promote straight travel) and speed controlled by a governor of sorts inside the housing? Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
This unit appears to do only circles of adjustable radius. JR Dweller in the cellar
Grant Erw> I recently read "Shop Savvy" by I think Mountebank, and in it he goes on
Reply to
JR North
Koike sells a cutting torch with a small crawler built in.
Here is the newer version of the cutter I have.
Mine was made in Germany in the 60's, and called a Cub Cadet.
Ernie Leimkuhler
I've seen one of the magnetic pattern tracers here
.
Looks like it would be simple to replicate.
Keith Marshall wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
"Racer's Guide to Fabricating Shop Equipment" ?
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt