Regulators - What do I have here?

Hiya folks, I've got a couple regulator questions for someone who knows of such things. Here are the two items in my parts pile that I'll likely use on a project:

For the first one, does this flow regulator work internally the same way as a pressure regulator? In other words, will the regulated side reach a maximum pressure determined by the adjustment?

The tube is marked CFH Helium, but there are two scales that can be seen in the second picture. How can there be TWO scales? If I change out the fittings and run propane through this regulator, for a given flow, will the heavier gas make the ball rise higher or lower?

The third picture is a high pressure oxygen regulator. I have no idea what this would be used for. If I put a different gauges and fittings on it, would it be suitable for low pressure? My goal is to regulate propane down between 0-3 psi.

Thanks for any advice. Rob

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, California

Rob Skinner

That is a pressure regulator. Repair parts might not be available. Flow rate is set with needle metering valve at the outlet fitting or smometimes on the flow-meter. The regulator is preset to pressure specified for flow-meter. I have seen pressure from 35 psi to 75 psi used. Flow-meter must be clibrated for supply pressure as that changes gas density.

Scales are for different gasses or gas mixes that you might supply to flow-meter. Can sometimes buy optional tubes calibrated for different gases.

That looks like a circle seal dome regulator but could be a grove dome regulator. Dome regulators use gas pressure in Dome instead of spring as referance pressure to regulate reduced pressure. Dome regulators react quickly to pressure changes for smoother pressure regulation. I think it is regulator in first link.

It is a great regulator but because it is a HP regulator the orifice size is small and might require too much driving foce (pressure) to produce needed flow. Call the company and ask them if it is suited for your use.

R. Duncan

The pressure s preset and the tube is simply measuring the flow rate.

That is a multi-gas flow guage so it can be used for Helium, Argon, CO2 or a mix of Argon and CO2.

It cannot be used for any flammable gas.

You can use Acetylene regulators for propane.

That is a oxygen regulator for a manifold system. It supplies a large amount of oxygen to a system with multiple low pressure regulators on it.

Once again it cannot be used for flammable gas.

Flammable gasses require different seals and o-rings than oxygen or argon. Do not ever mix them up.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

What you have in the first picture is an Airco inert, repeat , inert gas regulator for inerts such as helium, argon, ect. This is not a flammables regulator. The glass tube breaks or leaks and you have a very,very serious problem. Cheap propane regulators can be found everywhere. Save the Airco for when you get your tig rig.

Very doubtful if that regulator can get to 3 psi. Take it to a reputable regulator repair place and get their take on it.

Kent

Reply to
Kent Fowler

R. Duncan, Ernie and Kent, Thanks for the advice. I'll put the junk back on the shelf and grab an acetylene regulator off ebay.