What have I got?

I purchased an item at an estate sale that is made by CVP Products (printed on circuit board), it has the # HRN-1 on the circuit board. It's a metal box
aprox 9 in wide X 5 in deep X 1 1/2 in H. The front has 5 dpdt switches (probably 3 -4 $ switches) with center off, push button circuit breaker, a volume control (pot) and an off and on switch. The back has two RCA jacks and a circuit breaker for the ac line cord. There are no markings on the enclosure other than numbers on the 5 dpdt switches.
I think it's related to the RR hobby as there was some other RR items at the sale but am not sure. Thought maybe I should find out what it is before I start salvaging it for parts that I could use. Rob Mills ~ Tulsa
PS, Circuit board has 4 IC's and 4 transistors. Transformer is 6.3 volts either side of center tap.
Sounds like the horn simulator CVP made waaay back when. The DPDT switches "tune" the horn sound effect to match specific diesel horns. There should be a momentary toggle or pushbutton to sound the horn on the front panel next to the switches. The RCA jacks are speaker outputs. Kinda neat gadget to put a horn sound effect in one location.
Keith Gutierrez published an article on a horn matching your description in the February 1989 issue of _Model Railroader.
Hope this helps! Dubya
Rob Mills wrote:

I'll bet you nailed it, date on circuit board is 1988. I'll hook some speakers to it later this evening and see what happens.
Thanks to both of you for responding, RM~

I just hooked them up and believe it's blown. What I thought to be a front panel circuit breaker turned out to me a momentary on switch. When I pushed that switch I got a faint tone out of one speaker that seemed to change according to how the 5 dpdt switches were set. Oh well, got my moneys worth in switches and etc which is the reason I bought it anyway.
Thanks all, RM~
The output isn't for a speaker but rather to be driven to other electronics. It's called line output. A speaker would indeed make only a faint sound if you hooked it up directly. Put a power amplifier between the speaker and the unit and you will be rewarded with substantial sounds.

Believe it or not that (I have one of those PC controlled short-wave radios that uses a line out)crossed my mind but I later dismissed it. Thanks for the jog, I'll hook it to a small amp that I have buried in the garage if I can find it. RM~
Oh, bother - of course, it's a line out. Hence the RCA jacks instead of the usual speaker-wire terminals. That way you can hook it up to whatever you want (sound system, stereo, etc.).
No more decaf for me!
DUHbya
CVP Products is a vendor of DCC and RailCommand systems for model railroading. It souunds like you have a component of one of those systems. Do a google for them for further info.