Regulator rebuilding question

Hi folks,

I have 2 old sets of (Prest-O-Weld, Linde, Union Carbide, Purox) regulators. I can only afford to have one set completely rebuilt right now. These thing as old as they are work so much better than the cheapie generic (can you say drifting) regulators I got with my clone set. I'd like to know which is the better set of these Purox units.

One is a type R-111(Acet) and R-5517(O2) Prest-O-Weld/Oxweld and also have the Linde and Union Carbide names on them on them(these have large nosed diaphragm housings with a big T handle...the O2 gauges are rubber jacketed and the rear of the Acetylene regulator housing is painted red); both are heavy.

The other set is type R-205(O2) and R-207(Acet) Purox/Union Carbide(these are a little smaller than the others and the chromed diaphragm housing is shorter and more rounded..the T handles have tabs and are chromed).

As far as I know, the 205 and 207 set is newer which doesn't mean that it will be better when rebuilt to "as new" condition. I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide on these regulators.

Danno

Reply to
Danno

If the regulators are operating and work better than your cheapies I suggest that you use them as is until they give problems. I would not go looking for problems. They find me often enough as it is. Randy

regulators. I can only afford to have one set

better than the cheapie generic (can you say

the better set of these Purox units.

the Linde and Union Carbide names on them on

O2 gauges are rubber jacketed and the rear of

are a little smaller than the others and the

tabs and are chromed).

will be better when rebuilt to "as new"

on these regulators.

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Randy,

Thanks for the advice. I would still like to know which of the two are better if anyone knows.

Danno

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote:

*If the regulators are operating and work better than your cheapies I suggest *that you use them as is until they give problems. I would not go looking *for problems. They find me often enough as it is. *Randy * * *> Hi folks, *> *> I have 2 old sets of (Prest-O-Weld, Linde, Union Carbide, Purox) *regulators. I can only afford to have one set *> completely rebuilt right now. These thing as old as they are work so much *better than the cheapie generic (can you say *> drifting) regulators I got with my clone set. I'd like to know which is *the better set of these Purox units. *> *> One is a type R-111(Acet) and R-5517(O2) Prest-O-Weld/Oxweld and also have *the Linde and Union Carbide names on them on *> them(these have large nosed diaphragm housings with a big T handle...the *O2 gauges are rubber jacketed and the rear of *> the Acetylene regulator housing is painted red); both are heavy. *> *> The other set is type R-205(O2) and R-207(Acet) Purox/Union Carbide(these *are a little smaller than the others and the *> chromed diaphragm housing is shorter and more rounded..the T handles have *tabs and are chromed). *> *> As far as I know, the 205 and 207 set is newer which doesn't mean that it *will be better when rebuilt to "as new" *> condition. I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide *on these regulators. *> *> Danno *
Reply to
Danno

If 2 regulators are same basic design the one with bigger diaphram is better. All old welding regulators I have seen are unbalanced designs.This means regulated pressure will change as cylinder pressure changes from full to near empty. Larger diaphram allows larger valve orifice for higher flow while maintaining same accepeptable regulated pressure changes from full to near empty cylinder pressure. To have same or better performance with smaller diaphram would require 2 stage regulator or balanced regulator. Balanced regulator allows bigger orifice to diaphram ratio with no regulated pressure change as cylinder pressure changes and uses lighter springs.

You need the higher flow when using large rosebuds or large cutting tips.

Reply to
R. Duncan

Linde and Union Carbide names on them on

gauges are rubber jacketed and the rear of

a little smaller than the others and the

and are chromed).

The large Purox regulators are impressive regulators, industrial quality, extremely well made. The internal components/diaphrams/springs are beefier than the R205/207 units. As you probably know, ESAB provides a lifetime warranty for them. But they won't rebuild them. They will replace them with new units (which are equally impressive) for approx. 1/2 the cost of the new unit (turns out to be in the $150 range if I recall). Contact info:

ESAB Welding & Cutting Equipment P.O. Box 100545

411 South Ebenezer Rd. Florence, SC 29501-0545 Phone: (843)-669-4411 Fax: (843)-664-4258

Or the repair manuals are on their website if you are interested

I believe they are in the Support | Download Library, but it's been a while since I was on their website. John

Reply to
JohnP