Welding torch brand interchangeability

Back in the '60s I bought an oxy-acetylene setup from a local welding supply. I knew nothing about brands and ended up with a Purox brand unit.

I've used the equipment intermittently over the years with good success.

Now I would like to add a rosebud torch to my set. But the price for new ones is quite high. So I've been watching ebay for something used.

I've discovered that Victor heads are all over the place but Purox brand stuff is almost non-existent

So my question is: Can I use a Victor torch tip on my Purox torch handle?

Gary

Reply to
grice

Nope, each brand is proprietary. Purox is a dead brand name, the companies have consolidated a lot since then, lots of orphans. Might be retailed under another brand, though. The big players around here are Harris, Victor and the chink-made Victor clones with a little Smith stuff for the die-hards. There are some third-party tip brands out there taking care of the orphan equipment market, like you said, though, prices are high. MSC used to catalog a lot of those tips, haven't looked lately. You could probably buy a used Victor handle and rosebud tip for what you'd pay for the tip alone for your equipment Or a whole chink-made clone outfit... Pawn shops are one place to look for such, farm auctions would be another. I've also seen old stuff at the local welding supply, guys drop off stuff for repair and never come back, it gets sold for the cost of the repairs. Some of it is pretty cheap.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I had a quick search on Ebay. There were 19 listings for Purox and 30 more in Ebay stores.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Mordred9

Yup. And only 1 of them is for a rosebud head. And THAT one won't fit my torch.

Gary

Reply to
grice

Unfortunately it's Purox design or nothing. However you would do well to increase your search parameters. The Purox design was owned by Linde, Union Carbide, and currently by Esab (that I can recall, there might be others). Also search for heating tips as well since Purox made what they called heating tips which are similar to rose buds (but one piece instead of the screw on end).

I have two heating tips for mine. One is a 75 and the other is a

100. Keep in mind that Purox rates there welding and heating tips by the CFH of acetylene consumption. Thus the 75 needs 75 cu ft/ hr. This calls for the large (ie 400 cu ft) acetylene cylinder to even have a chance to run it. I've not even tried the 100 yet since I've not a manifold setup to put more than one bottle on at a time.

Personally I don't like the newer welding heads for the Purox and the Rosebud heads aren't as good as the old ones either. However I'm sure they're better than nothing.

As a final note of encouragement just keep watching ebay. You've got a damn fine torch there and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I personally prefer a Purox to any other brand torch especially Victor. I bought the one I'm currently using in my shop when I was 13 and it's still going strong. I like it better than the newer Esab version that I've got on my truck. If you ever decide to get rid of your's be sure and let me know.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

My home torch is a Purox. My traveling one that gets beat up is a Victor.

Good stuff Purox

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

That's why I have my good old one in the shop. I use the new one (which is a bit clunky compared to the old ones) on the truck and get beat up. Actually the new ones are a bit heavier and are sturdier than the old ones so it works out well.

Yep. Well worth the hassle IMHO.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Thanks for the info. Broadening my search a bit DOES yield more choices.

Gary

Reply to
grice

Ive got a NCG (National Carbonic Gas) O/A thats rather nice too. Even harder to find parts for. Aluminum torch. Very light.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

I just thought of something I should point out.

The above companies also had the patents on the OxWeld torches. They do not interchange. They're different enough that you should be able to tell from pics.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I've got two MECO torches with aluminum handles as well as some other odd balls in my box of strange welding stuff. One of the MECO's was my great grand uncles. One has the oxygen lever on the top and the other has it on the side. Not bad torches but nearly impossible to find parts for and I don't like the balance as well as the Purox.

Reply to
Wayne Cook