Torch regulator setting question

Just inherited an Oxy/Acetylene torch that has both 1 and 0 tips. Any general rules of thumb as far as what pressures to set the two regulators to in cutting some 1/8" steel? This is just for fun.

Many thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Emerson

When I was taught it was 5 psi Acetylene and 20 psi Oxy.....should get you going.

In case you don't know, only open the Acetylene valve about 1/4 to 1/2 turn...faster to turn off in case of.....

and open the Oxy valve all the way till it stops, it has a seal at the 'top' also.

I was also taught to crack the valves slooowwwly.....so as to not shock the regulators I believe.

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

On my Airco torch a No. 0 tip is way too big for 1/8" steel. It will work, but it will leave fused slag on the cut and it will be a pain to grind clean.

5 psi and 20 psi will get you started. Jeff's advice for the valves is for the cylinders, NOT the regulators.

I suggest that you do this for any gear that hasn't been in use recently: attach just the hoses to the regulators and briefly use the gasses to blow out the hoses. This is a part people often ignore and then they wonder why their torch valves get clogged up.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to