Rebuild Cost for Two Stage Regulators

I have a vintage pair of two stage regulators, an OXWELD R65 and an
AIRCO B40. Can anyone provide any guidance about the cost of rebuilding
these units.
If the cost is competitive with purchasing an elCheapo set of
regulators, I would prefer to heve these units rebuilt.
Any suggestions about reputable shops for testing / rebuilding the
regulators would be appreciated as well. I am located in Northern NJ.
Thanks.
Tim
Reply to
The Guy
The only regulator repair shop that I know of:
Welding Equipment Service Company 1228 6th St. Berkeley, CA 94710-1481 USA
They are open Monday - Thursday 6:00 to 2:30 PST
I haven't spent any money with them yet, but they are the folks that service regulators for most of the welding stores in the SF Bay area.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
Thanks.

Reply to
The Guy
I have paid between $45 and $65 for a rebuild, depending on how many parts were needed.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
I brought some old Smiths regulators to McKenzie Repair, here in Minneapolis, for rebuilding. All new internal parts and a 1 year guarantee. Looked almost like new afterwards. I don't want to quote a price, as it was so low I think I may have gotten a Bro' deal. But it will be a fraction of the cost of a new regulator. They even modified one of the OXY regs to low pressure (1-30psi) spec. with a new gauge and spring for only $2 extra. Rebuilding Regs and torches seems to be all they do and they must do hundreds a week.
Give them a call at 1-800-261-9995 or try
Nice people to do business with. If you live in a major metro area you may be able to get it done locally. So check that first.
I'd definitely prefer a rebuild over a Harbor Freight cheapo any day.
Reply to
Mark Stonich
I've used these guys before:
Quality Torch & Regulator Service 939 4th Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37210 (615) 726-2763
I'll bet you a buffalo nickle you can find someone locally, being that close to NYC. Call whoever you get your gas from & ask for the repair shop they use. A lot of welding supply outfits take their repairs to one of these shops, so beware of the markup.
Ernie's estimation sounds about right. $50 give or take a little depending on parts, if you bring donuts, if they guy needs to pay his bookie, etc...
Good luck
Reply to
John L. Weatherly
Thanks Ernie. That ballpark range is exactly what I wanted to know. In that price range, per regulator, it is a no-brainer to have these hefty old regulators rebuilt.
Tim
Reply to
The Guy
Thanks. I am inclined to have the units rebuilt as well. I will reach out to them and see what they have to say.
Tim
Reply to
The Guy
Thanks John,
The $100 - $120 range for rebuilding a pair of regulators is definately in the sweet spot of having the units rebuilt.
Most of my buffalo nickles are in intensive care right now. I've squeezed the buggers so hard they all farted, squealed and lost hope of ever getting out of my pockets! :)
I will make some calls locally and see who the local gas places and welders recommend. If no one locally turns up, I have received a couple of recommendations that are only a UPS box away too.
Tim
Reply to
The Guy
My last rebuild on a single stage was $45
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
ESAB rebuilds their regulators to new condition Oxweld & Purox
Reply to
MES
Thanks
MES wrote: > ESAB rebuilds their regulators to new condition Oxweld & Purox
>>My last rebuild on a single stage was $45 >> >>Ernie Leimkuhler wrote: >> >> >>>>>> >>> >>> >>>>I have a vintage pair of two stage regulators, an OXWELD R65 and an >>>>AIRCO B40. Can anyone provide any guidance about the cost of rebuilding >>>> these units. >>>> >>>>If the cost is competitive with purchasing an elCheapo set of >>>>regulators, I would prefer to heve these units rebuilt. >>>> >>>>Any suggestions about reputable shops for testing / rebuilding the >>>>regulators would be appreciated as well. I am located in Northern NJ. >>>> >>>>Thanks. >>>> >>>>Tim >>> >>> >>>I have paid between $45 and $65 for a rebuild, depending on how many >>>parts were needed. > > > > > >
Reply to
The Guy