Air Pressure Regulators

I seem to have the darnedest time with air pressure regulators. Particularly at the compressor. I have my compressor set at 155PSI and the regular set at 125 (I have a machine that requires 125). I know that isn't much spread, but its the compressor I could afford at the time. I quit using 20-30 dollar cheap regulators some time ago, but my last two were name brands running within their range. Coil Hose Pneumatic was the previous one and the one that just failed was an Ingersol Rand. I think before that I had a Parker on it. I can't get a year out of them. If Harbor Freight had a 1/2" that wasn't an all in one I'd start buying those and just keep spares on the shelf. No my regulators are not getting shaken apart by the compressor either. They get mounted to my air dryer with a filter separator in front of it and the refrigeration dryer after. The filter separator is connected to the compressor with a flexible line.

Seems like the $75-80 dollar name brands don't last any better than the $30 cheaper ones.

I just bought a regulator from McMaster Carr, but it won't get here until Thursday. This evening or in the morning I guess I make a trip to some local hardware store to get a regulator to get up and running so I'm not sitting idle for two days. All my CNC mills require air for something these days. Tool change, air brake, air seal, etc...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I FIXED IT - Maybe temporary, but I fixed it. The diaphragm is pinched in place around the edge with a hard plastic ring held in place by the adjuster assembly. It had slipped out from under it and was massively leaking. I figured it was blown. I put the diaphragm back in place, place the ring on it, tightened everything down and hit it with some air. Adjusted it back up to 125PSI and no leak. Don't know how long it will last, but if it lasts until Thursday I will be thrilled.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I wonder why it got loose. That's weird. Maybe use loktite? I've used a lot of regulators, on the farm when I was a boy, in the plant, on my rigs I designed, and now at home. I've actually never experienced a failure. At the plant and in r&d, they were mostly to supply instrument air.

One thing I found out when I built the belt grinder for my son was that the leakage flow can be significant. I got an instrument regulator from McMaster to control the belt tension, and since we were using the pipe frame as a tank with not much volume, the pressure dropped too quickly, within a few hours. I called the manufacturer who explained it to me, and offered a regulator on the same frame with significantly less leakage, and a little less accurate regulation. The frame will hold enough pressure now to stay operational all day, with multiple belt changes.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

In the rare event I needed a pressure regulator I've used an oxygen regulator from the welding shop. I never had one fail.

Reply to
gray_wolf

In the rare event I needed a pressure regulator I've used an oxygen regulator from the welding shop. I never had one fail.

****

I have had welding gas regulators fail, but admittedly they were all being used for high pressure welding gas. I would bet one used for relatively low

150-175 PSI air would last a long time. It’s a good idea, and it wouldn't be too hard to change the fittings. My only concern would be volume since the one that keeps failing is the primary. Not the point regulators at the machines. Those sometimes have failures, but its usually from their integrated separators Not the regulators.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

As a guy who keeps machine shops up and running, I found your assessment to be absolutely correct. They have gotten shittier.

Take a look at a couple that seem to still make decent regulators.. SPEEDAIRE and WILKERSON

One of the most..most..most important thing you can do to get regulators running over a long period of time....keep them seperated from anything vibrating and put them on the far side of any water dryers you have installed. And you HAVE to have dryers installed..else the water will kill your regulators over time. Poor ones..quicker than good ones.

Ive literally written off Ingersol/Rand air products of any sort.

*** I think I have three IR products in my shop. The regulator mentioned (and repaired) already. An air nibbler with a dull cutting anvil from cutting stainless steel, and a 1/2" impact that so far has outlasted ad out performed any other impact I have ever owned. My dad used to swear by Chicago Pneumatic, but I don't think I own any.
Reply to
Bob La Londe