Motor rewinding cost

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,

23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

I will try to test this machine during the weekend.

Ignoramus21207

Ignoramus21207 fired this volley in news:JuOdnaruiKCcG8rXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's more than you'd pay for a new-old-stock motor on Ebay, even including shipping.

Motor rewinders are scarce these days, and their work is usually expensive unless you compare it to the cost of specialty or very large motors -- then they become pretty economical. Run-of-the-mill utility motors are usually too inexpensive to be worth it.

(sigh... we finally lost our only rewinder in a five city circle from here. He got old, and finally retired. Nobody to take up the trade, so he just closed the shop)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That sounds about right. Rewinding is usually only economical for large or special expensive motors. I gave away a 3HP Baldor buffer with cooked motor a while back. I think the guy I gave to paid around $300 to have it rewound. Around the same time the place that did the work went thru the 5HP DC motor from my (now ex) Monarch EE. They disassembled it, dipped and baked the windings, replaced the brushes and bearings and load tested for $125, which seems cheap comapared to the rewind.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:18:41 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21207 scrawled the following:

For that price, you could adapt a Honda engine to it and have a more portable unit. Here's a 6hp Subaru Robin for $250.

-- Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or buy a used motor for $50

Gunner