Rewinding a Bench Grinder Motor

I need to have a bench grinder motor rewound. HP, 110, 3450RPM, single phase. Nobody wants to do this locally so will have to send it
out. It is not an option to get a new motor since the shaft and the motor frame etc is special
The grinder is a Soux with a GE Motor. 5KC49BB358A. Grainger has a GE motor that fits the description but I am not sure the end bell will interchange.
Any suggestions.
Thanks Bob AZ
http://www.hgrindustrialsurplus.com/search-products/product-detail.aspx?id0-258-011&searchtable=2&sortExpression=&SortASC=&pageSizeP&currentPageIndex=2

Its been my experience that rewinders charge about 80% of new motor prices, least here in California on normal sized motors.
I just tossed a very nice Baldor 8" grinder, because it was cheaper to pick up another used one than have it rewound.
Gunner, who has a nice Souix, much like yours mounted in my Grinder Section.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham
Gunner sez:

Yeah. And factor in down time, shipping, etc. and it will cost a lot more than a new motor. My single rewinding experience was with a 7-1/2 HP, 3-phase Wagner motor. I chose to rewind it in an attempt to learn something about the "art" of motor repair. It turned out to be one of those things that was more interesting than it was fun. I came away from that experience with a healthy respect for professional motor rewinders and an appreciation for what they have to charge.
You may find that no rewinder will want to take on such a small motor as yours. Matching end bells between motor brands will be a crap shoot at best. You might be able to obtain exact specs from GE and Grainger to determine if the end bells will interchange, but I doubt it.
Bob Swinney

I once rewound the power transformer in my Sansui 8080db. At that time I was a Marine with more time than money.
I assume you unwound it, counted turns, mic'd wire, documented connections and reversed process. Were there any gotcha's that are not that obvious?
Wes S
One of the best in the country:
Tri-County Electric Motor Service 60335 US Highway 12 Litchfield, MN 55355 320-693-6200
I know the owner. If you want it done right, ship it here.
Karl
"Its been my experience that rewinders charge about 80% of new motor prices, least here in California on normal sized motors."
Around my home town they will not even consider rewinding anything under 5HP. I had an origional motor from my Sheldon lathe that I wanted to keep, but the locals just laughed at my request to rewind it. Seems like it was only a 1 hp but it was one BIG horse-sucker must have weighed 70#. Replaced it with a modern motor of the samp rating and it is nowhere near the same performance

All
My customer would like to keep the Sioux part. A real old shop. Nothing new after WWII. They still use coal for the forge.
I think I will go to a motor shop and try to find a stator section that will accomodate the present end bells.
Thanks for all the posts. Will let you now how things go.
Bob AZ