Rheostat for Bench Grinder

Forgot all the electrical schooling I ever had. Is it feasible or even possible to take a standard $40 bench grinder and convert it to variable
speed by using some sort of rheostat... Possibly a cheap $3 one designed for dimming lights..... Or will this burn up the grinder motor or worse yet burn my garage down. If this won't work, do they make any gizmo for this purpose.
Thanks for Help

for
burn
No cheap way here....but, you could use a dc motor/tach feedback and apply power to it with a pwm amplifier that supports tach feedback. Your drive signal could be a very small 0 to 10 volts DC signal...in the milliamp range. This would give you precision throughout the range. Of course you would probably have the most expensive bench grinder in the state!.........Ross
Ross- You sound like McGiver....LOL I knew it was a long shot, but I wasn't sure.... Now I am! Thanks to everyone

even
variable
designed
yet
apply
Enjoyed your reply....have a great holiday season...Ross
buckaroo wrote:

Why would you want to slow down a grinder? (Asking as someone with no expertise at all with them. You can have my Black and Decker grinder which slows down if you look at it cross-eyed - or if you use it to grind something - in return for one that doesn't slow down!)
Why slow down a grinder?... When sharpening chisels and lathe tools on a bench grinder a slower speed is much better since it will not burn (blue) the steel. They make bench grinders that run at a slower speed as well as variable speed ones. I just happen to have bought a "normal speed" one and was just thinking that maybe a rheostat may work also but I have found out that it is not true..... at least for this induction motor. I use to know some about electricity, etc but as I get older my mind destroys all of my old data....

for
burn
buckaroo wrote:

Thanks! That makes sense. I'm not brave enough to sharpen my chisels on a grinder - I'm afraid of ruining them. I do it by hand.

I can relate to that!

Thanks to All..... I am convinced that this is not possible.... I do know that they make some grinders with variable speeds but I assume that they are wired differently. I knew it sounded too easy...

for
burn
Actually it isn't a matter of how they are wired, it's a matter of the motor used. Those might very well be universal motors. Easy way to tell, many universal motors have ports to replace their shoes. TTYL

Out of curiousity, where does one find a bench grinder for $40?
In response to your question, if the grinder has a conventional 1750 or 3600 rpm synchronous induction motor, it really doesn't lend itself to variable speed use. Motors like this are common in 1/4 through 1/2 HP grinders.
On the other hand, a $40 grinder may have some sort of brush type or ac/dc motor which lends itself to variable speed operator that may or may not be controllable through use of something akin to an ordinary lamp dimmer. The problem here is that the dimmer may not respond well to an inductive motor load and the voltage spikes it produces.
It all depends on the HP of the motor and its type of design, plus what sort of a speed reduction you are searching for.
Harry C.
On 20 Dec 2003 16:04:49 -0800, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harry Conover) wrote:

Just about anywhere these days. I bought a scary-large** 8" Ryobi for about US$70 including a wheel dressing tool, the 6" ones are cheaper, the no-name China-made ones cheaper again. It won't get you a Baldor, of course. Harbor Fright has 6" no-name China ones (with lamp) for US $35.99 at the moment.

** If you don't think an 8" 3500 RPM bench grinder is scary, you need to think about what happens when one of the wheels shatters (and it does happen). There is a LOT of energy in those stones.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Harry- Ryobi 6" wheels......Model BGH615............ $39/Home Depot......... 2.1 Amp.....Induction Motor......3600 RPM.......Looking for RPM around 2100-2400 Based on what you already said probably won't work
Thanks for helping

for
burn
Not possible. Only way to properly speed it down is to change the frequency fed to it.

for
burn
in article 65d94$3fe4a15e$4503c914$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com, buckaroo at snipped-for-privacy@covad.net wrote on 12/20/03 11:27 AM:

It may be practical for universal motors that really are series wound motors.
Bill
wrote on 12/20/03 11:27 AM:

for
burn
Pretty much every bench grinder I've seen uses an induction motor. At least all the ones designed to run off the mains.
wrote on 12/20/03 11:27 AM:

feasible or even

convert it to variable

$3 one designed for

motor or worse yet burn

gizmo for this

series wound

But bench grinders are not generally series wound.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
They are generally asynchronous motors, so forget the rheostat or dimmer, you will burn the motor down.Speed adjustment to an asynchronous motor (i.e.brushless motor)is possible only by changing the frequency of the AC.In the lab, when I was still studying, we burnt a motor down (it was smoking!)by applying on it 150 volts instead of 220. Visit our website www.patriko-kreta.com
-- Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Greece
John G <greentestatoptusnet.com.au> : 3fe4dab6$0$18688$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:26:46 +1100, the renowned "John G" <greentestatoptusnet.com.au> wrote:>

Or universal or PM motors..
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany