Small hoses?

Hi all,

I inherited a little Purox / Linde / Union Carbide W200 OA set recently. After a little cleanup, it works really well. I want to replace the twin 3/16" hoses but Googling did not reveal any suppliers that want to sell these with the 1/8" (Half size) connectors required by the regulators and mixer.

Ideally, I would like some very flexible

15' long hoses with the 1/8" threads.

I guess the answer is just for me to show up at my local welding supply store and have them make the hoses for me?

I'd much rather type an order in to a website.

What is your advice?

Thanks

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Check out tinmantech.com . I have a set of his hoses on my Meco Midget, and they are great! Bob

Reply to
Bob

The hoses for a Smith "Little Torch" would work fine. Small flexible silicone hoses with 1/4" connectors on one end and 1/8" connectors on the other end.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Bob wrote: (...)

That AWS-0052 Ultra Light Weight hose looks perfect.

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks, Ernie.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I've watched those guys who make art out of brass (?) sheetgoods, and they really can handle those little torches easily. Most torches, and stingers, too are a lot less fatiguing if even just the last ten feet is smaller diameter goods.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yup. I replaced my TIG torch cable with a more flexible type. It is a delight to use.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

We call 'em "whips" in the yard. Dropping a couple of pounds of lead makes a big difference when welding lots of vertical or overhead. I use mine exclusively for 3/32" rod, so I don't overheat it.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Congratulations. I am a fan of Purox stuff myself. I got one of their larger setups recently, tested it thoroughly. Even though it had all been sitting since the '70s, everything worked great and the torch had a real nice feel to it. I've always been an Airco man and I own a lot of Victor stuff too, but the Purox is nothing to sneeze at. I sold mine, but really encourage people to use this stuff.

GWE

Reply to
Grant

When I first lit it off, the flame was less than perfect. It had two non-axial cones. One in the correct position off the end of the tip and another at ~10 degrees 'up' from the end.

The tip looked as if it had been dropped while still hot. Kind of a eighth-moon mush on the top.

I ground off the ding and profiled the end of the tip with abrasive. After cleanup, the results were very gratifying. It produced a nicely defined flame that was smoothly adjustable to just about any size, including quite small.

That's a sweet little torch.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

'Whips'. I'll have to remember that.

Ernie's advise about the flexible cable and CK Flex head torch were right on the money. Both made puddle control easier and gave me much nicer looking results because I wasn't distracted by working against cable stiffness in an awkward position.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The cables on the water cooled torches are reasonably flexible as-is, also a bit more difficult to add a "whip" to.

Reply to
Pete C.

(...)

Yup.

My Lincoln came with a water cooled torch. The air-cooled torch that came stock with my Miller seemed like a step backwards WRT flexibility.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston, I have the same torch with the Purox name on it and nearly passed out when quoted $38 each for the brazing/welding heads. Let me know if you find a reasonable source for them. smirk snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Thanks Will

Reply to
willgoddard0

Peanuts. What is the minimum wage in America now days? :-)

Reply to
John B.

Ive got a shitload of brazing attachments for older torches. Email me with a couple pictures of your torch handle and some dimensions and Ill see what I can dig up for you.

Reply to
Gunner Asch