Plasma cutter filtration

I have both the Motorguard 0.01u filter (toilet paper style loads) and a Wilkerson 0.5u coalescing filter (M30-04-000B). To keep my plasma cutter happy, do I use one of them or both of them? Which and in which order?

Thanks, Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

Both, Motorguard TP filter first. Consider a refrigerated air dryer if you do allot of cutting.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Reply to
bitternut

The coalescing filter on my plasma cutter was installed by the factory just before the regulator. I assume that is the way they thought was proper. The toilet paper filters don't seem to be the greatest in stopping moisture. As far as the expensive filters go, what do they do that toilet paper doesn't? Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

The toilet paper will break down when it is wet and cause all kinds of problems as the pieces get in your plasma system.

Reply to
Jim

I know nothing about plasma cutters, but if you're using two different micron rating filters, always put the coarser one first. Otherwise, it'll never filter anything, and the finer filter will blind off prematurely.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Thanks folks. I think what Pete is saying makes sense; I was mainly wondering if two filters was overkill. It isn't overkill costwise, I got the coalescing filter quite cheaply.

As far as moisture goes, I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the drain pipe on my shop air plumbing--no moisture in it after a morning of plasma cutting in New England. My compressor has a solenoid driven valve at the bottom of the tank that blows for a fraction of a second each time the motor turns on. Seems to be working.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

Reply to
bitternut

Right. TP good for description only!

Steve

bitternut wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

The Motorguard filter array I use (sold as an HTP Max Dry) is in three stages, the first being a 5-micron self-draining filter, followed by a coalescing filter, with the last being a rechargeable dessicant filter to pull the remaining moisture out of the air stream. Works very well, and I seem to get very long torch component life.

Another trick I've heard is to use a scrap A/C condenser coil with a drain at the bottom between the compressor and whatever filter system you use. That's supposed to knock most of the moisture out of the stream before it ever gets to the filter, making for very long filter life and nice cuts. If I ever get the time I plan to install a similar setup. I feel like you can't get the air to a cutter too clean or too dry. That's a challenge here in NC, where you can grow mold in your armpits after being outside for 30 minutes.

-Jon

Reply to
Jon Ward