Hypertherm 380 or 600 Plasma Cutter

Just returned from pricing the two units. 380 says it will cut 3/8, and 600 says it will cut 5/8.

I notice that they also have a line that says something like max cut is " ............" , I guess meaning what it will cut in a bind. I may occasionally cut 1/2", but not much. Will the 380 suffice, or should I go ahead on the 600 and have wiggle room? And if I DO select the 600, will it be overkill and melt all the small thin stuff?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve,

I have the Hypertherm 600 Model (220V) and you can adjust the output from 20amps for the lighter gauge or go up to 40amps. On the 380 it is

14amps to 27amps and you can use 110V or 220V input. It just depends what you will be using it for. I would go for the higher power if you have the proper electrical wiring in the house. You will have a higher duty cycle on the 600 also. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have the 600 and I would recommend something bigger than that if you want decent 1/2 inch cuts. The Hypertherm 600 will sever 5/8 but there is a lot of clean up. Even with my limited experience I can get nicer cuts on 1/2 and 5/8 inch material using a torch than with the Hypertherm. I love the Hypertherm for anything thinner than 1/2 inch.

Reply to
Carsten

Steve, I don't have one yet, but have also looked at both those models. Just a thought, if you cut 3/8" at 90 degrees it 3/8" thick, but if you cut it at an angle, it could be 1/2" thick. My though was the 600 would be the minimum machine to buy.

Kevin

Reply to
cc0217215