Problem with Hypertherm Powermax 380 plasma cutter

I'm getting a "Gas pressure" fault on my plasma cutter (Hypertherm Powermax 380). The PC monitors the gas (air in my case) pressure & inhibits power to the torch if it falls below 40 psi.

I've:

- checked the pressure on the supply line - it never drops below 80 psi

- changed the filter on the PC

The PC has a built-in air regulator & gauge. It's set to 60 psi, as it it is supposed to be. The pressure doesn't drop when the torch trigger is pulled & gas flows.

If I set the PC's regulator to 80 psi it works. Sometimes. The owners manual says to check the torch lead for pinched hose or obstructions. This suggests that there is a pressure sensor in the torch & upping the regulator satisfies it. But the parts diagram doesn't show one.

Any ideas? Before I start tearing it apart, which I'd really rather not do.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

PS - I went to the Hypertherm web site to order a Service Manual. $9, thats reasonable. Plus $13 shipping! That's not only unreasonable, it's offensive. Still, it's just $22 total.

Anybody know how good the Hypertherm service manuals are?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

That's not true - it does drop & it's supposed to be adjusted while the air is flowing. There's even a special setting to allow it to flow without energizing the torch. 'Cause I didn't RTFM, I adjusted it static, then it was too low with gas flowing.

My apologies for wasting the time of those who replied, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt