tungsten electrodes sharping?

Does anyone see a problem with sharping both ends of the electrode on a tig. I one use one kind of electrode so there wouldn't be a problem of mixing two different kinds up. I only weld stainless steel if that help any.

Thanks

Glenn Houston, Tx

Reply to
m5bmw

I do it for my portable rig since I only use Lanthanated tungstens with my inverter.

I like to use a grinder code for my tungstens since the paint gets scraped off by the collet anyway. I grind a narrow groove around the tungsten using the edge of a grinder wheel.

1 groove = Lanthanated 2 grooves = Zirconiated 3 grooves = Ceriated. If I sharpen both ends I grind the grooves in the middle of the tungsten.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Glenn,

Speaking for myself, that's what I do with my 2%. I sharpen both ends to save time. Pure only gets sharpened on one end, preferably the unpainted end. Thoriated is all we use, seems that none of the suppliers around here know about anything else. I know Ernie, you are not supposed to sharpen for Al, but it seems to help form the "ball" easier.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim Roberts

Sharpening is fine, but form the ball on DCEP over a chunk of clean aluminum or copper, for a better ball.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for the replies. I just didn't know if the arc would try going out the other end if it was sharpened.

Glenn Houst>Does anyone see a problem with sharping both ends of the electrode on

Reply to
m5bmw

Howdy, Glenn. I'm in Houston too. West side just inside the beltway near I-10.

rvb

Reply to
rvb

It has nothing to do with if the end is sharpened or not, but rather how close to the grounded work you are welding. You could weld with the blunt end, but you'd have a hard time making a decent weld bead. Trully amazing.......

Lane

Reply to
lane

I take mine and cut them in half and grind 4 ends. I use the short cap only though. So for one container will give you 28 sharpened ends before you have to regrind unless you keep a cordless drill handy with a dedicated wheel for grinding them. I keep all my tungstens in seperate containers by type and different sizes go into different containers also. I mostly use 2% in 3/32" and 1/8" tungstens.

-- "Pay peanuts.....expect monkeys."

Reply to
jessp

It'll try, but the cap won't let it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Reply to
lane

RVB,

Me and the wife just moved from there, Now we are in Katy. We lived in Spring Branch off of longpoint and bunker hill. My families shop is in pinehurst, which is just north of Tomball, which is Northwest of Houston. I like to drive alot. But I'm going against the traffic so it only takes about 30-40 minutes to get to work.

Glenn Houston, Tx

Reply to
m5bmw