Re: HTP multiprocess machine?

Not a bad price, and it would be unique on the american market, but for a better multiprocess package I would recommed a Miller Maxstar 150 and a readywelder spoolgun.

It would be more a TIG/stick machine, with MIG capability, and it would run on 110v or 220v.

The whole package would be about $1500.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie - would this setup allow for aluminum TIG?

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

No, but niether does the HTP Multi-process machine, since it is DC only.

You could do aluminum TIG using DCEP with a Maxstar 140 or a Maxstar

200, ( as I have done with both machines) but the Maxstar 150 changed to passing the gas through the power pin. This makes it harder swap polarity on the TIG torch. DC Aluminum TIG must be run in DC Electrode Positive polarity.

You could still do it on the Maxstar 150, but it means a messy torch gas hookup.

But if you have the spoolgun you can just MIG the aluminum.

Readywelders rock. I just finished assembling 180 feet of stainless steel railing using my Readywelder to MIG-Braze the tubes in. Pickets every 4 inches. great gun. I was running mine off my Betamig 250.

I have run my Readywelder from my Maxstar 200DX to weld aluminum, and structural steel. For the structural I was running 0.035" dual shield wire with C25 gas.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

How does the ready welder handle aluminum? How are the welds compared to TIG welding?

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

The readywelder easily matches any other spoolgun I have used, and I have used them all.

Aluminum MIG welds willl vary in appearance whether you are running Globualr, Short Circuit, or Spray.

Globular looks a bit lumpy but is good for jumping gaps, filling holes, and building up areas. Short Circuit is best for thin materiels, and looks very much like a steel MIG weld. Spray tends to leave a smooth bead with no ripples.

TIG welds will almost always look better than MIG welds unless you get into pulsed MIG.

MIG is considerably faster than TIG, and does risk more distortion.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Earnie, which ReadyWelder did you do this with, the #10250 ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Yes that is the one I have.

They use a standard Tweco front end so consumables are easy to find anywhere.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Earnie, which ReadyWelder did you do this with, the #10250 ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

Ernie, I think you've convinced me. HTP won't be shipping their new machine until July. One question: How does a Readywelder gun handle shielding gases? Does it use the source machine's gas solenoid, or does it have its own?

Thanks!

-Jon

Reply to
Jon Ward

I went ahead and ordered a Maxstar 150 and Readywelder for use as a MIG gun. If Readywelders are as good as Ernie says they are, the days of the 300-lb MIG welder must be numbered. I can actually find a spot to squeeze a 24-volt battery array into my work truck, so I should be good to go whenever.

Thanks for the input and discussion.

Reply to
Jon Ward

The Readywelder has it's own gas line with a 10 foot hose to get to the flow guage on the bottle.

The trigger in the readywelder is also the control valve.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I had my reservations, but after reading Ernie's glowing reviews, I broke down and bought one. All I can say is damn, why the hell does Miller get big bucks for their spool gun???? I'm using my Readywelder with an older milllermatic vintage, welding mostly 6061, 6063 and 5052 and I am no longer clearing birds nests out of the welder every 10 minutes....Now I can actually make some money building signs.

erie

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
eri