Pulsed Tig question ?

When I looked at Miller catalog,Maxster 150 STH model has four fixed-pulse frequecies. I'd like to know how it works. Also,what is a big difference between this and Maxster 200 DX ? Does Maxster 150 STH do enough job especialy low end area?

any comments will be appreciated. Thank you all. Yoshi

Reply to
ZZ212

The Maxstar 150 STH is intended as a low cost, compact solution for TIG welding Stainless steel on site. The pulser and the ability to start and stop the arc with the remote are all upgrades from the Maxstar 140.

Will it do the job?...Yes. Is it as good as a Maxstar 200DX ?...No.

The Maxstar 200DX is a wonderful machine with all the bells and whistles, but it is likely more machine than most people with need.

I have had mine for 3.5 years and I still love it. I have done pretty much every kind of welding possible with it. High end pulsed TIG on Stainless steel for Breweries. Structural stick welding with 6010 and 7018. MIG and Dual-shield using a Readywelder spoolgun. Heck I have even carbon arc gouged with it.

The Maxstar 150 can run on 110v and 220v input.

The Maxstar 200DX can run on anything from 110v to 460v 3 phase. And on 3 phase it uses all 3 phases for greater efficiency.

I don't see any point in buying the simpler Maxstar 200SD since it is only $200 cheaper.

The Miller CST 250 is an interesting alternative to a Maxstar 200DX since it doesn't have the high end TIG features, but it does give you

250 amps output, and costs quite a bit less.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hi Ernie, Thank you for your quick response as always.

I need more specific explanations. Does this mean The Maxster 200DX can be MIG ??? And still big question in my mind is why you didn't buy Dynasty 200DX ?

  1. Maybe, you already have AC machine for Aluminum?
2.The price was too high?
  1. Did you think The Maxster 200 DX can do weld Aluminum or Magnesium as Dynasty 200DX do (according to miller catalog) with special device???

Maybe these are silly qestions,,,,,but I need to know because between those two machines are so similar. The only difference is AC output, right?

Thank you for your time.

Yoshi

Reply to
ZZ212

Yes and quite a good one, for steel or aluminum. I have even MIG brazed using silicon bronze wire.

Mine is model 10250.

I already had a Syncrowave 250 in my shop for aluminum TIG.

At the time I got my Maxstar the Dynasty 200 didn't exist.

I have welded aluminum with my Maxstar running DC Electrode Positive. It works quite well, but is limited to 1/8" or thinner.

No, the Maxstar has almost twice the duty cycle of the Dynasty. Duty cycle is how long you can weld before letting the machine rest. To shoehorn in the AC welding circuits they had to reduce the duty cycle of the Dynasty.

Not a problem for most people doing hobby work, but I have really used my Maxstar hard, stick welding structural steel.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for comments. Ernie. I am almost deciding which machine (Between The Maxster 200 DX and Dynasty 200 DX) I should get. Now I see The maxster 200 DX can MIG Aluminum with spoolgun. One last question is what occasion do you need TIG Aluminum other than speed and How clean you do MIG Aluminum with spoolgun? The reason why I ask this because I have no place to do MIG welding, or have no good ventilation right now, but the future maybe I hope. I'm interesting all kind of thin sheet metal and pipe, tube right now then one or two years later on I will have plan to make furniture, lamp, with large size of metals. Which machine do you recommend between two?

I am really appreciated all your advice. Thank you again.

Yoshi.

Reply to
ZZ212

TIG is better for metals thinner than 1/8", and MIG is a lot faster for thicker metals.

If making a small fuel tank for a boat , TIG would be more accurate, but for making a boat trailer MIG would be the better choice.

Non-pulsed MIG welds on aluminum will always be a bit rougher than TIG welds

MIG on steel makes no more smoke than TIG. MIG aluminum needs ventilation, as does stick welding, dual-shield and fluxcore.

As I stated before the Maxstar has the higher duty cycle, but the Dynasty has the AC for aluminum TIG.

If it was to be my only machine, then the Dynasty would be the choice. Add the readywelder for MIG.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler