Re: How to Dial in the machine Corectly?

I have given myself some time to figure out things on my own but with

> every change of settings I get more confused. I wish there was a > decent user manual for the machine I bought in stead of stupid peace > of paper showing how to turn it on and off. I have ordered books by W. > H. Minnick and hope they'll come soon enough to help me understand > before I loose my enthusiasm. > > Have tried all different setups with all the functions my TIG Inverter > has on offer. Played with AC frequency, Pulse, Dual Amperage, > Penetration Balance, Starting and Finishing time, Gas Flow, etc. > > Practicing on my T-Joints (20 x 2 mm Alloy tube) I have settled with > this setup: > > 90 / 30A,

Seems OK

Pulse 1.2

Good

80Hz AC

Might try a higher frequency for more focus of the arc.

-4 Balance

fine

5s. UpSlope

That will give time to preheat teh joint, but seams a bit excessive. I tend towards 1 second upslope.

0.5s. Down Slope

too fast. Downslope should be more like 2 - 3 seconds.

5s. Post GasFlow

Not enough post flow gas. Should be about 15 seconds to protect the tungsten as it cools.

> I am managing to have nice, even looking weld but I can sense there is > space for more fine tuning. With this setup I have to move pretty > quickly around the joint to achieve uniform weld. Most of the time I > get it right, but I feel rushed and at the end of the weld I always > get a little round crater. > > What can I change to allow me slower pace? > Which of the above settings should I focus on? > What would be a well dialled machine?? > What would be the order of importance of the above variables?? >

Get your amperage right first, then worry about the other bits. The pulser and the frequency throw off the amperage formula. The pulse reduces your output and the higher frequency effectively increases your output.

I usually don'y have my students even touch a pulser until they are really comfortable with basic footpedal control for a few weeks.

Same with the sequencer. They are hard to appreciate until you have welded without them.

Thanks > > Blaze
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler