Using pulsing to reduce heat input?

I used TIG process to weld some stuff last night, and noticed a lot of warping. My TIG welder can do pulsed current. I think that using pulsing can reduce heat input. What would be sensible pulse settings to do that.

Another question, I will be tig welding some 1/8" thick steel angles. (I need to make a holder assembly for all those numerous cables and hoses) What would be a good amperage to set. I figure that about 120-130 amps should be good.

Ignoramus6433

I like the 60hertz pulse setting as you have a more fluid puddle (Miller

150STH-It is funny hearing 60hz from a dc unit). I like to dip so I haven't found too many uses for the other pulse rates except for thin stuff. I'd imagine someone could teach/explain to me how to use the lower pulse settings (.5,1.2.5hz) more effectively but I do well with 60hz. Any comments would be welcome if this isn't seen as a thread jacking :)

Look for old posts with Ernie's rules of thumb. They baseline at 1amp per thousandth of an inch.

Reply to
cl

OK, so, what are your low vs. high pulse widths (relatively) and what are your high and low currents? I can set all these things on my welding machine.

Got it... thanks a lot...

Ignoramus6433

From some of Ernies posts

I am looking for some reading material on manual TIG Pulse procedures,

OK this is one of my major gripes with the welding world. Everybody wants to sell you a pulser for your TIG, but nobody wants to tell you how to use it.

Here are some basic settings to start with

Pulses per Second 1.2 - 2.0 Background Amperage 40% Peak time 40%

Remember that when using a pulser, you will set your machine slightly higher, since you are not maintaining a constant arc.

The pulse frequency or 1.2 - 2 pps allows you to add filler on every pulse. You can go to a higher pulse frequency and simply add filler every second or third pulse.

Running in the very high frequencies on the pulse makes for a more liquid weld, especially on SS and aluminum.

The pulser should work just as well on AC as it does on DC.

Obviously you have a huge range of settings to play with.

Have fun, do many test welds and take notes on settings that worked particularly well on certain combinations of material and assembly.

For more settings for the pulser you can go to this site.

and this site

The range of settings can be a bit bewildering but you have to find out what works for you. "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner Asch

yes, that was helpful.

Ignoramus6433