pulse tig

Is there anyone out there who could provide me with some detailed information on pulsed tig? Maybe some parameters would be helpful. I generally weld 14 to 22 ga. ss. butt and fillet NSF. Thanks Rob-O

Reply to
Robert Powers

They have an online calculator for pulser settings, but you need to know a few things before using it.

For thinner materiels use a spikier pulse setting.

A good start is 40% background, 40% on-time and 1.5 pulses per second.

Remember that while the basic amperage rules for TIG decree that steel is 1 amp per 0.001" of thickness, and Stainless steel is 2/3 of that, a pulser throws that off sicne the pulser itslef reduces the efect of your amps, so you have to take your amps up a bit to compensate.

For example.

18 ga SS is 0.047" 1 amp per 0.001" means 47 amps, round off to 45 for easier math. 2/3 of 45 is 30 amps for a flat butt weld.

Add 1/3 for a inside fillet (40 amps) and subtract 1/3 for an outside fillet ( 20 amps).

If you use my basic pulse settings above you will lkely have to ad 20% to 30% to the amperage to compensate.

fast spike pulses throw this off even more.

I welded a popcan with 200 amps once, but it was spike pulsing at only

3% background and 2% ontime and 1.3 Pulses per sec. Made a really pretty weld on the can.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Has anyone built a homemade add on Pulser for the Syncrowave 250 by modulating the footpedal resistance?

There is a nice used 1993 (Pre Pulser) Syncrowave on sale here but I would like to add pulse capability. I figure that a simple 555 timer chip circuit driving a power transistor would allow adjusting the on time and base level of the foot pedal circuit and do the same as the pulser option.

Or is there an add on pulser still available for the older 250's?

Thanks, Graham Parkinson

Reply to
Graham Parkinson