Which process to use, MIG, TIG?

If there's a FAQ that could give me the answer, please tell me so I don't bother this group with questions that I'm sure have been asked before.

Anyway, here's the deal. The more I read, the more confused I get. I'm trying to determine which one is best for what I plan to do. I'm planning on doing things with Jeep bumpers, skid plates, fireplace screens, art, motorcycle frame fabrication, blacksmithing.

I'm leaning towards TIG because it is the prettiest and that's what I'm learning. But, MIG is also attractive to me because you can tack something together yourself really quickly and the ease of use of a wire-feeder is sweet! I'm planning on using this in my garage/workshop and installing 220v power if necessary.

MIG or TIG? Opinions?

Thanks,

rvb

Reply to
rvb

If you can only afford one, then TIG. For the rough and ready stuff, remember that a TIG is also an excellent stick welder. So you're getting two machines for the price of one. You'll have much more flexiblity in what you can weld, and much more control of the welding process, with TIG. The main thing MIG buys you is production speed, but unless you run a production shop, that probably won't be very important to you.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

MIG or Stick

TIG

Oxy -Acetylene

Buy a small TIG/Stick machine and run a Readywelder spoolgun from it for wire feed.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have a Thermal Arc TIG machine and love it. I can TIG pretty much any metal with it - I have even repaired a pewter piece without discolouring it. The machine will do stick as well so welding some extensive mods to a boat trailer yesterday in the breeze was no problem.

Many times I have tacked with the TIG. Just set and or clamp one piece, hold the other in position and fuse a couple spots without filler.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

What TheralArc machine do you have? I'm looking into the Pro-Wave 185 as mentioned in some previous posts.

rvb

Reply to
rvb

esab 161 unit is awesome...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I have a 250 GTSW which has been replaced by the 300 GTSW. From a look at the specs, the 300 is even better than mine but I've had mine for about 10 years and it still does all I want. I don't know the Pro-Wave

185 but you are almost certainly going to want to weld aluminum and, umless you are as good as Ernie, yo *need* AC/HF.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards