TIG or MIG

just a fyi for newbies.
i'm a "experienced" newbie. got my esab 161 tig about 8 months ago. does
great detail work on AL, SS, and LCS. however, i find myself using my 90amp
100v cruddy mig welder more often when welding low carbon steel. mig is much
faster and makes nice beaded welds with ease.
so if you're deciding mig or tig, if it's steel you do, mig is the way to
go.
i think i will start looking into a new 220v ~200amp mig unit.
Reply to
Kryptoknight
Thanks for the info, Krypto. Can you, for those of us who need it (me), explain what you mean by low carbon steel?
Thanks,
rvb
Reply to
Rick Barter
IIRC, "low carbon" is the same thing as "mild", and "high carbon" is more along the stainless variety......
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong...
Jeremy
Reply to
JC
check out these links. you can Google up "types of steel".
the ASTM are specifications mapping steels to applications.
general structual steel is in specification A36 (low carbon), typical home depot crud.

Kryptoknight
Thanks for the links. I've Googled for "types of steel", but didn't know enough about what I was looking for. These will help.
rvb
Reply to
Rick Barter