Mig into tig

I read that some people have taken their mig welder and turned it into a tig by drilling out a mig tip. Then they drill and tap the side to install a set screw. The tip then will hold a tig electrode to use. Anyone ever done this? Does it work?

Reply to
stryped

One is a constant voltage process, the other is a constant current process - so although it may "work" it won't work "well" Stick and tig use constant voltage, while wirefeed (gas shielded or flux core) use constant current. A normal stick welder would be a better match fot TIG than a wire-feed welder (and tig welders DO work well for stick welding - HF start makes striking the arc childs play)

Reply to
clare

You have it backwards:

TIG = Constant Current Stick = Constant Current MIG = Constant Voltage

There are of course many multi process machines available that can run in both CC and CV modes.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've been using my Miller AC/DC for TiG for decades, never had an HF. Real men scratch start an arc!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Have you tried that on Aluminum?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

No it wont work. At best..it may give you a "spot welder"...but not a tig.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nope, never welded Al.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Stryped, your trolling is getting a little to obvious.

Try to be more subtle.

Reply to
Glenn B

I've melted some before.

Just about the time it gets hot enough to flow, it melts and falls on the floor.

Reply to
Richard

Years ago I built a AC transformer TIG set. You really need a high frequency generator to stabilize the arc but it did work. If I remember correctly Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Ward used to sell a H.F. add on for transformer welders.

Reply to
John B.

I'd get one of those if it became available.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It would have been about 1971 or 72 and they were listed in the catalog :-)

At the time I was trying to build a cheap portable TIG set to repair aluminum irrigation piping in the field.

Reply to
John B.