More silly questions TIG.

Every time I strike arc The tungsten turns to a blob.I am trying steel with argon.When ever I ask google it goes on about foot pedals ,high
frequency sparks and all manners of crap . I just have an inverter with no bells or whistles just a hand piece with a knob to turn gas on, and I connected tungsten positive. Any one help?

You might try https://weldersmanual.com/tig-welding-polarity/ as a beginning.
--
Cheers,

John B.
On 16/10/21 5:38 pm, John B. wrote:

Eureka!! negative, now alluz I got to do is figgur out current and how to get a 79 and a half year old to maintain a steady arc to a miniscule exactitude
"F Murtz" wrote in message

Eureka!! negative, now alluz I got to do is figgur out current and how to get a 79 and a half year old to maintain a steady arc to a miniscule exactitude
------------------------
Ernie Leimkuehler suggested practicing by moving a washer around on paper with a pencil without making a mark.
What size tungsten are you using and at what current?
Randy

Or you might try electrode NEGATIVE .
On 10/16/2021 3:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@delete.com wrote:

Well , you must be talking to the OP , because my TIG welder is and always has been set up with the torch hooked to the negative . It also has all those bells and whistles the OP was lamenting the lack of .
--
Snag
Let's Go Brandon !
"Snag" wrote in message wrote:

Well , you must be talking to the OP , because my TIG welder is and always has been set up with the torch hooked to the negative . It also has all those bells and whistles the OP was lamenting the lack of .
Snag Let's Go Brandon !
----------------------- I have a Square Wave stick/TIG welder with a switch that select DC Electrode Negative (Straight Polarity), AC, or DC Electrode Positive (Reverse Polarity). I was taught to TIG weld steel with the electrode negative, so the heat of the arc goes mainly into the work, and only switch to positive to ball the tip of the tungsten before welding aluminum with AC.
The arc is negative electrons that deposit their energy where they hit, not so much from where they leave.