6-G Pipe weld composition

Info: 6" schedual 80 mild steel. 60deg included bevel angle, 1/8 landing.

6010 5p for the root. 3/32 lo-hy for the fillers/1/8 for the cap.

Here's my problem, I cannot get my composition right. My hot pass is way too low. If I run another layer it winds up entirely too high. leading to problems when I go to put my cap on. After the second stringer (cap) there is a narrow deep crevace between the second stringer and the shoulder. Other than that everyhting else is coming along swimmingly.

Any help apreciated.

Reply to
Tony Pro

After my hot pass I fill keeping in mind my cap is next. I concentrate on leaving a 1/16th shoulder on each side of the joint. That way I have a guide that I can see when I place my cap. A groove down the middle indicates your fill passes are too small. Are you trying to fill in one pass or two passes?? I would be doing a root pass, hot pass, two fills ( left/right) then two caps. Slow down and your bead gets bigger. If when you slow down you get a crown then you must spend more time on each side and less on the middle of your weave. So nice to back seat drive :') Randy

6010 5p for the root. 3/32 lo-hy for the fillers/1/8 for the cap.

Here's my problem, I cannot get my composition right. My hot pass is way too low. If I run another layer it winds up entirely too high. leading to problems when I go to put my cap on. After the second stringer (cap) there is a narrow deep crevace between the second stringer and the shoulder. Other than that everyhting else is coming along swimmingly.

Any help apreciated.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Im trying to fill in two passes, root, hot, cap

What are you meaning by two caps? Do you mean two stringers with 1/8?

Reply to
Tony Pro

Some people do a cap on six inch pipe in one pass but you risk porosity from the wide weave you have to make. No problem with 6010 or 6011 because the gas shield is so large but Lo-Hi rods do not rely on gaseous shielding Putting in so much material in a single pass will invite wagon tracks, lack of fusion at the edges. Unless someone is telling you to do it that way I would decline from such a procedure. Each time you pass over you refine the grain underneath. Laying in large amounts of material in position invites problems. If you have ever fractured a section of multiple pass weld bead you can see how the grain is refined in the lower beads. With modern methods and power supplies it is amazing just how much material you can lay down in a single pass. Engineers are learning that this is not a good idea and often limit the deposition rate on each pass in the weld procedure but guys on the floor see time as money and pour it in. Hey they dropped steel bar stock into weld prep in the Liberty ships and it resulted in failures at sea.... all in an attempt to do it faster. Randy

"Tony Pro" wrote in message news:1067541866.65308@prawn... Im trying to fill in two passes, root, hot, cap

What are you meaning by two caps? Do you mean two stringers with 1/8?

"R. Zimmerman" wrote in message news:ICPnb.215098$6C4.52165@pd7tw1no...

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Reply to