Spray can nozzles

I'm the same way, Stuart. Look in the paint section of your local home improvement store for one of those handles that snaps onto the spray can. They make things a lot easier. It's almost like using a spray gun...without all the clean up.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I just placed an order. i repainted the Ford 2000 tractor this spring and missed a couple minor spots. i still have the paint but don't want to refill (and clean) the HLVP paint gun.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:12:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

Yeah, echo that: warm paint does spray much better, Leo.

That's an "Oops!" alright. Too bad he wasn't in there and it was red dye instead of paint. It would have proven the Darwin factor a bit better to all his friends and coworkers. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:26:29 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff Wisnia quickly quoth:

I like the one guy's comment a whole lot: "Too bad she didn't die

-before- breeding." (emphasis mine)

Waht I can't believe is that so many judges are letting clearly frivolous cases like this (and much worse) into their courtrooms, especially as overloaded as the courts already are.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

To all those having trouble getting all the paint out, I haven't had that problem with most of my spray paint cans and I use them about 90% of my painting. I would probably use about 5=6 cans painting my car hauler trailer instead of getting down the HVLP, getting some hose, lighting off the compressor and then having the clean up. For non-critical paint jobs the cans work good. However, shaking for more than a minute seems to be needed and even more if the air is cold. All that said, I may have to put my right index finger in a cast after just one spray can. I even got forearm pump like I used to riding motorcross. Must be age. I've got some of that too. Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Here's my Super Shaker:

I built it just to be silly, but I do use it. 10 secs on this baby gives more shakes than a minute of hand twitches.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" (clip) However, shaking for more than a minute seems to be

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In an earlier post, I suggested shaking the can in a stream of hot running water. Try it--you'll like it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

'Hope it works out for you, Karl. Anything heavy will have to be heated if you don't like to thin it too much. I don't, so I keep a pan of hot water handy when I'm using those paints. I cover the jar with aluminum foil so it doesn't get wet and just plunk the jar in the water. Then I either wrap a dish towel around the jar or wear gloves, if it's too hot to handle.

You'll also find that coarse-ground paints may clog the nozzle. Some house paint is pretty coarse-ground. But that's pushing it, anyway. It's really not made for those paints.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've got one of those. Dirt simple to use and clean. Two thumbs up!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

If I do it in the shower is that a big enough stream? Lord only knows I need at least 2 showers after working in 100+ temp. I suppose that you meant just the can in the stream....Dang being an editor of a magazine causes a different eyeball on sentences. It's getting to be a nuisance.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I guess that depends on your girth. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Lord only knows I

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ At 100+ temp, I doubt that further heating of the paint will be necessary. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I suppose that you meant just the can in the stream.... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you want to shake your can in the shower, that's up to you. I hope nobody is watching, though. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dang being an editor of a magazine

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What magazine do you edit, "Shaker Furniture?"

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Boy that is close!! The magazine is Experimental Helo dedicated to experimental helicopters and while not normally thought of as furniture, the shaking part is certainly there.

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

That looks an awful lot like my airbrush setup. I haven't used it for ~20 years so my memory is a bit foggy. About the only difference I notice off hand is the airbrush kits usually come with 3-4 bottles and covers. Makes it easy to switch paint mid-stream.

I have used my airbrush to do touch up work on my truck. Used some of the leftover paint (lacquer type) from the body shop that did some repair work earlier in its life. It worked fine for that.

I made a small inline air tank with its own mini-regulator, moisture trap and quick couplers. At the time I was using one of the little oiless teflon cylinder compressors. Set the compressor on ~25 psi and then adjust the regulator coming off the little tank (maybe 2 gallon) to what you want for spraying. It worked well. Little tank works with my bigger compressor too.

The touch-up guns work well for this also. Mine came from Grainger's ~20 years ago (~$70). HF has a knock-off now that looks very much like it. See:

I still don't like cleaning them up, even though it isn't terribly bad to do so. Much easier to blow out the nozzle and set the spray can back on the shelf :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

cavelamb himself wrote: ...

How about if, after turning the can upside down & clearing the nozzle/tube, one *leaves* it upside down for storage? Then if the solids clump, it won't be in the bottom of tube (which is now uppermost & out of the paint).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt