Spray painting

Does anyone know of a site dedicated to spray painting. What I am looking for is info on mixing/thinning the paint, determining the proper air pressure adjustments on the gun, troubleshooting etc. I have done a search on google but had no luck. Thanks, Kevin.

-- Some days you're the dog and somedays you're the hydrant.

Reply to
Kevin

Every paint system is different from every other paint system to a greater or lesser degree. Some paint systems are incompatible with some others and are compatible with others.

A compatibility chart can be found in Higley's "There Are No Secrets". A condensed version is on-line at

under "Tech Services".

Latex house paints are making considerable inroads into the hobby market, largely because the paints can be had in virtually any color under the sun and because the paints themselves are much simpler to brush or spray and clean-up is very much simpler than with most other paints.

Water-based urethanes are gaining favor as well.

What you really need to figure out is which types of paint are best suited to your specific projects and of those types which ones can yield the sort of surface/finish you want - flats tend to work better with water-based systems, high-gloss is more readily achieved with lacquers and epoxies.

A muiti-part article on spraying models with latex is at

Someplace to start, anywell . . . Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

I'll assume you are talking about using an airbrush or touch up gun. I'd suggest looking at your local craft store/hobby shop/book store and get a book on airbrushing. They have a lot of techniques. There are also finishing books (higley comes to mind) specific to our purposes that haven't been duplicated well on any site I've seen. Have you looked at the airbrush links on Alan's site

Look under both airbrush and paint

Reply to
John Alt

Do a search on any one of the many RC discussion boards, and I'm sure you'll find plenty tips.

Feel free to do your own research, but here's a major shortcut:

Here's why;

- It's not expensive. You need the 2K enamel, 2K hardener and 2K thinners.

- The mixing instructions are on the can - 2 Parts enamel, 1 Part hardener,

1 part thinners. Not difficult.

- It's designed to be sprayed, so it works in any spray gun - micro, small, medium and large.

- Once applied, it does not run, and it's touch-dry in less than 5 minutes.

- It's light

- It's literally everything proof (it's automotive remember).

- It sticks like crap to a woollen blanket - fiberglass, covering, wood, you name it.

Happy hunting.

Cheers

Reply to
CG