Compressor PSI

Hey guys I just got a compressor with a regulator and would like to know some general PSI settings for airbrushing. Full coverage to fine coverage. Camo demarcation lines, etc. Thanks for any help, Jeff

Reply to
jeff cotten

I generally shoot at 20 to 25 psi. Big question is what type of paint are you using. Best thing I can suggest is to mix up some paint and experiment with you psi setting either on an old kit or some sheet styrene. Eric There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want. Calvin and Hobbs 1990

Reply to
Eric

That depends on a)the viscosity of the paint you want to spray and b)the configuration of the airbrush nozzle (see Venturi for a full explanation). An Aztek airbrush, for instance, will want pressures ranging from 6 PSI (.2mm nozzle, Tamiya acrylic thinned 50-50, fine line tracing) to 40 PSI (1.02mm nozzle, enamel paint thinned 80-20, large area coverage). These are extremes and the average small area painting - such as on a 1/48th scale model - is done with pressures ranging from 15 to 25 PSI, so you can consider that as a starting point, but I'm afraid that there's no unique, out of the box answer to your question. Best way to find out is to experiment.

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun

Reply to
Don Stauffer