Will Mixing Different Brands of 30-Min Epoxies Work?

Well, after several months, I am running out of my Devcon 30-minute epoxy. I still have maybe an ounce of the Part A (resin) left, but I am out of the Part B (hardener). A few weeks ago, I bought another brand of 30-minute epoxy. It carried the hobby shop's label, but it looks like a Bruce Smith Industries product. This has me wondering whether I can use the BSI hardener with the remaining Devcon resin. Will the resulting epoxy yield as strong a joint as if I were using the same brand for both resin and hardener? Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Harry Sanchez

Reply to
Harry Sanchez

Test a small sample and let us know the results.

It all depends on chemistry, not brand name. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

When you eat an ear of corn, you throw away the cob.

And I thought I was thrifty...

m-m

Reply to
M-M

It will work. Most probably both came from the same factory.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

go to system three or west systems website and look for a pdf called "the epoxy handbook" very humorous, very informative and will explain WHY mixing brands will give a weaker bond.

P.S. a hard copy of the epoxy book comes with their trial kits, of which our club has gone thru 6 of.

Reply to
tater schuld

whether I

thoughts on

Yes that would be important if we were working with aircraft or even marine composite's. But we are not, and with plywood and balsa, it will work just fine.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Do you want to risk a couple of hundred dollars worth of plane/equipment for 2 or 3 dollars ? Go buy a small tube of epoxy and hardener and do it properly. Using the other hardener MAY work, but I would not trust it.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

plane/equipment

whether I

thoughts on

I know from trial, experiance, and even reading the contents of the products that it does work, and there is no reason to expect it not to. There is no differance in any of the 50/50 epoxies we use, in any of the brands.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

Is your modeling budget so tight that you really need to worry about 1oz of hardener? Why risk a couple hundred dollars of model and accessories for $.50 worth of adhesive.

Like others have said, a test will confirm whether they are compatible but not what kind of yield strength it will achieve.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

That is COMPLETELY not true. There are several formulas out there and while some may appear to work, their strength is vastly inferior. I also know that Z-Poxy finishing resin will not cure with laminating hardner. That was a difficult mess to clean off! ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

sometimes

30-minute

Thought the issue was differant brands, not types. Laminating hardner will not give as strong of a bond in the first place.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

While it won't give you the strenghth a test will confirm that the strengh is enough. Simply glue two pieces of wood and let cure a few days. Then break. If the wood breaks the glue will work. If the epoxy breaks or debonds then don't use it.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

| Well, after several months, I am running out of my Devcon 30-minute | epoxy. I still have maybe an ounce of the Part A (resin) left, but I am | out of the Part B (hardener).

Why bother?

Personally, I've been getting my epoxy at Wal-Mart -- the 2 hour setting time variety. (The real working time is closer to 30 minutes, to be fair.) It's far stronger than anything I glue together with it, and it's only $2 for a pack.

I think it's even Devcon. The packaging is different, but I think this is it --

I really like that system where it dispenses the right amount of each portion correctly. Not only does it mean nothing is ever left over, but it means I always get the right amount without any work.

Personally, I'd be more concerned that you actually have extra hardener than what to do with it. Does that mean that something you glued a while back didn't get enough hardener?

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Your new epoxy has just the right amount of hardener for the resin, so why would you even consider using the left over stuff when you really don't need to. work on your mixing techniqe so when you get to the end of one tube theh other is also empty.

Ed

Harry Sanchez wrote:

Reply to
Ed Smega

You weren't specific. Their laminating resin is a 50/50 mix as well.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

This is the most sensible response yet, IMHO. Ideally you shouldn't have any leftover resin or hardener anyway so toss the leftover and use more equal parts of hardener and resin with the next batch. You should be able to stand the bottles next to each other and see if you are using equal amounts, or just use disposeable measuring cups.

Reply to
Steve Banks

I wouldn't, but *I* don't like to crash ;-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe