Jimmy Stewart Rolls In His Grave

I've just seen the trailer for the remake of "Flight of the Phoenix." Whatever screenwriter came up with the script ought to be lined up against a wall and shot, numerous times. I originally wondered how anyone could possibly remake this show, now I know. It _CAN'T_ be remade.

I bet that if you wrapped Jimmy Stewart's corpse in copper wire and suspended him over a magnet, with the amount of RPM's he's putting out by spinning in his grave he'd be able to power the entire western hemisphere for at least a century.

Reply to
Drew Hill

yeah, explosions sure have a place..

We didn't live in the same dorm at U of I, did we?

My floormates and I once postulated rigging a whole cemetary this way and just insulting everyone buried in it to generate electricity...I think we were inspired by a bastardization of a Hendrix tune.

Reply to
Rufus

click, bang, what a hang your daddy just shot poor me....

That good, eh?

The Old Timer

Just wondering how you can tell the quality of a film by the trailers?

I seem to recall many moons ago a trailer for a space opera garnering a 90% negative response in all of the news media based on the trailers.

Stupid name, too. Star Wars. How trite.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Tom noted:

Tom, It not a case of what the media thinks but a preliminary opinion of a (I assume) aviation fan. I don't care what the media critics opine, but to me the trailer reminded me of how much "Pearl Harbor" got butchered the last time around. Then again I admit bias because I loved the first attempt.

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

postulated rigging a whole cemetary this way and just insulting everyone buried in it to generate electricity.>>

You didn't know? That's how they power the Old Capitol pedestrian mall--not enough business at the silly coffe shops to keep it afloat.. ; )

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

tom, wait till you see it. the trailer tells exactly what they've done to the story.

I have to agree with the negative review...the addition of the attacking marauders and having to rebuild the aircraft under the gun is too far a plot stretch from the original for me.

I plan to skip it, based on the trailers.

Reply to
Rufus

Star Wars? Never heard of it.

Seriously, I've seen the trailer and it looks as though this one is more of an action-buddy movie than the original. But this is a good thing. It lowers my expectations, so if the movie bites, I'm not that disappointed. If it doesn't bite, I walk away even happier. I will go see it regardless.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Oh my God! Really? I remember seeing that trailer myself. I was in SF watching the animated movie "Wizards" when it first came out. After the movie was over, everyone got up to leave. The trailer to "Star Wars" started up and people turnd around, stared, then sat back down. After it was over, we all looked at each other saying "Wow! Did you see THAT??".

Reply to
Gary Kato

The key word in your reply is "people".

Movie reviewers cannot be considered "people". :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

FWIW The idiot who reviews movies in our local paper is a "Film Snob". He raves about "Films" at the local foreign/art houses and rarely has anything good to say about a "movie" unless it stars someone he admires, like B. Streisand or R. Redford. His greatest condemnation for a movie is that it "has no message"! I sent him a letter once explaining that normal people do not go to the movies to be preached to, they go for escape, to be entertained. If I wanna be preached to, I'll go to church. Never received any reply, of course. The only real positive angle to this jerk's reviews is that if he really blasts a movie, I know I will probably like it!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Didn't Sam Goldwyn say "if you want to send a message, go to Western Union"? Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

B. Streisland - ERK!

I normally look at director - eg Ridley Scott makes good films!

However it is worth trying more unusual films - there are some very good French films - subtitles save the day - I HATE redubbing (Amelie, Taxi worth watching).

Japanese are animation masters - Miyazaki is brilliant - try Spirited Away.

The 1960s spaghetti westerns - some were superb - eg The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Reply to
Martin

Our "local idiot" for the Austin-American Statesman (Chris Garcia), really tore up "Saving Private Ryan"...for the most idiotic reasons. He said that he felt the plot dragged so much, that he felt like he "was sitting in the theater for three hours"!...lol...(Yo Christopher...perhaps that was due to it being a THREE HOUR MOVIE!). He also panned what he felt was an overly "in your face" John Williams score (ironically, it is one of Williams' more

*understated* film scores). He then had the nerve to explain his remarks by saying he was never one to have an interest in military history, and could not understand why *anyone* would have an interest in such a field of study. (Not touchy-feely liberal enough, I suppose...)
Reply to
Greg Heilers