It has happened, Asimov is turning over in his grave...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article#978

--
Mini ITX and other computer goodies:
www.brokenacres.rite2u.com
joecoin wrote:

Hmmm.... Maybe, though Asimov was cremated and his ashes scattered.
-- Gordon

Details details.
Joe
--
Mini ITX and other computer goodies:
www.brokenacres.rite2u.com
joecoin wrote:

I saw that yesterday and told the editor off for printing it. AI is no where near the point where a robot could run off on its own and attack someone. Much less could it refuse to follow an order. They don't have the capacity for understanding yet.

Just reading the headline and subheading:
Drug dealing robot goes berserk Tries to 'exterminate' the Doctor
... these lines are loaded specifically to attract attention. The words "drug dealing robot" brings up visions of a robot selling illegal narcotics, then the rest just adds to the excitement. But of course it's over the top for this story. I'm sure Asimov spun in his chair in front of his typewriter back when he was alive whenever he read news stories involving robots, or most any news story involving technology or science. Regrettably, finding technical errors and misunderstandings in news articles is about as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

I know you mean the robots with that last sentence, but it could just as well apply to journalists!
----- http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Gee, I don't know. My robot refuses to follow my orders all the time. :-}
Jim

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:57:49 GMT, "Jim Hewitt"
Are you sure your robot isn't actually a cat?

----- http://www.mindspring.com/~benbradley
Sorry cat lover. I say the cat is smarter than all of us. Do you get to lay around the house all day? Eljin