Interesting hardware

Maybe just wild speculation, but it seems to me like this sort of thing could enable some really useful features in CAD software. Maybe FEA on-the- fly? Full-time collision detection? On the other hand, the architecture might be useless for CA objects.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Sounds like a good partner for Cosmic Blobs.

Reply to
P.

Anyone heard anything about the Atomic Processors. I heard in the late 90s that they were working on atomic processors and they were supposed to blow away any pentium. The theory was that the electrons could be forced to pick a direction of rotation around the neutron and signify ones and zeros depending on the rotation. They were looking at 2020 something way beyond the few hours that I plan ahead, but the Plasma TV was dreamt up in the 50s and had been 10 years out until just a few years ago when they actually marketed it or Quite interesting though.

Corey

Reply to
CS

I've lost track of what's going on with electron spin transistors. I'm sure they're still working on it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

That is what I thought. It seems to me that if you look at an item spinning counter-clockwise around a sphere and look at it upside down it would be spinning clockwise, I don't know anything about quantum physics. I presume that they have a constant axis or something. But really I don't know. I searched the net but only came up with a few discussions no real articles about it.

Corey

Reply to
CS

The magnetic field generated by the electron has a vector value that would have an opposite sign depending on the direction of spin. I would imagine that's where they get the 1 and 0.

Bill

Reply to
bill a

I'll have to take your word for it.

I feel bottom posting sucks. When using some web based news servers it is probably a bit easier to read. What do you prefer to post with Cliff. I use Outlook (I know "Outlook is Horrible" well it is what I have and it is quick and easy.) Outlook top posts by default, and with the conversations in a tree state it is easy to see the previous post so bottom posting is unnecessary. Though it might be annoying for you to see a top post it is equally annoying for me to see a bottom post. Maybe in the future my situation may sway me toward bottom posting but for now I just don't like it.

Corey

Reply to
CS
100% agree, although I don't mind bottom posting. As I've said before, the "rule" about not top-posting goes back to Unix days when you couldn't scroll UP the screen. This rule has outlived its usefulness. When you've got a scenario where you're responding to a short post with a long explanantion it does make more sense to bottom post as a courtesy to the reader. In the opposite scenario, the opposite it true, however.

'Sporky'

CS wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Bottom Post reading and writing both cause me to scroll Which is why I don't care for it.

Reply to
CS

I have finally worked out what you are all talking about !!! In fact I think I understood electron clouds from my school chemistry lessons better - !!

BTW I use FREEAGENT from forteinc.com and there is a nice thread tree - previous post text is in blue and the unread subject titles are in red . Very easy to follow discussions.

TTFN

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs