Slowdown FAQ and tips

Best Regards, Scott Baugh

Reply to
Scott

Excellent. Thanks Scott. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

Scott, I just have to state, I have none of the problems listed with the majority of my issues except the FX500 and that again is a non issue imho with regards to my specific issues. So, from my perspective, the slow down issues are all SW Corp related

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I missed #24.... Contact SolidWorks and ask them when large assembly performance will be realized without having to spend endless hours in a futile hardware/software config hunt.

When I was working with large assemblies I had top end hardware and disabled everything I could in XP and still white-screened on large assemblies for hours at a time. I believe our VAR simply gave up and SolidWorks quit responding other than "we sent your model over to our developers in India."

I know your trying to help those a little less informed, but I'd like to see some real results from SolidWorks software.

Reply to
Jeff N

Look I'm not trying to say this will fix all your problems, etc...

IMHO

I'm just trying to give some help to those with slow downs. If you are having and issue and it doesn't match what I have stated, then contact your VAR. Blame SW, I don't care. I'm just trying to help those out there. That's why it's an FAQ and tips, not a "This will fix all your problems and slowdowns!". There is no need to complain to me, because there is nothing I can do to help you with your complaining.

Even those that are informed can forget about all the things that can cause slowdowns. I know that I might be missing a few in there and if I come across them I'll add them.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I wasn't attacking your list nor you, but since you seem to be so defensive I'll assume you work for a VAR.

A good amount of the users out there experience slowdowns*. The prerequisites of choosing unanimated cursors, disabling some services that use relatively minimal amounts of resources, and figuring out a half-assed

3GB switch is really a lame way of getting CAD software to do what it advertises to do. If there is some ideal exact configuration to get this software to run properly then why aren't they sending out the specifics in an official document? I've heard enough 'maybe try this'es.

BTW-I did contact my VAR. They gave up. They contacted SolidWorks. Apparently they gave up too or are really delayed in a response.

*which would lump any process in SolidWorks where things seem to go nearly idle or take an unnecessary amount time to complete.
Reply to
Jeff N

thanks Scott your site is in my bookmarks as a excellent site for SW resources

Reply to
cadman800

I wasn't attacking you or being defensive that why I used IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

I posted this to help, you decided to beat me up for trying to help people.... Go figure?

So what if I work for a VAR? At least I'm out here trying to help every one.... for free on any advice I can offer. My site is also free... to download and get Tips from and I like think it's a good resource for knowledge for both the new and advanced users. FYI (For Your Informaiton) I didn't start using SW as a VAR. I have been here since the beginning. I am what some would call a Veteren here. I was here since it was Deja News - Anyone here remember that group?

The 3GB switch is a OS issue how can that be a SW issue? Please Advise.

From the website: This page describes problems and possible solutions related to the usage of large data sets in amira 3.1 on WindowsXP computers. If you frequently encounter dialogs in amira such as "cannot allocate xxxxxx bytes of memory" although you think you have installed enough physical memory then information provided on this page might be useful for you.

So it's not limited to just SW... again so how is this SW's problem?

There isn't because every system is different and every user installs different programs... Even if the users are in the same company with the same machines, each user has his/her way of doing and installing apps or craps (Shareware). Spyware and Hijackers are killers on network traffic and it's hard to keep Hijackers off systems today. I use Hijackthis.exe to help find and keep them off my systems.

I can tell you are bitter about this, but how can your VAR or SW fix an issue if they don't know what the problem is... can you answer a question when you don't know what the question is? If you have given them everything thing then have them come out to your company and you show them what you are doing. If you VAR cares enough they will be out there.

SW is backed up, because they are short handed in the Tech side. They are working on that, but until then what can they do? If you think the issue needs to be pushed then contact your VAR again and have them push the issue with SW. That's the only thing you can do and if they don't push it, then threaten to leave and go to another VAR. That will push the issue.

If you are unhappy with the Software switch to something else and see if your production time increases or decreases? That's the best solution next to whining about it.

Regards,

Reply to
Scott

Jeff, and all, please check out Mike Tripoli's detailed notes and logic along with Pete's note following Mike's under the Subject: "SW Corp, Consistently Inconsistent".

I must say that I have followed part of what Mike says on my Dell M60, and a friend likewise on an M50, and neither one of us see hardly any problems. Neither of us use the Internet on these machines, or use 3rd party software, other than ocassional use of MSWord and Excel.

It is like buying a a "race car", but then the automatic transmission, airconditioning, automatic opening top, Sound System, GPS navigation, coool street tires and the bike rack just defeat the purpose of "racing".

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Bo, that's what SW needs , a Bike rack, pmsl :-)

At least we could then pedal home if the race car broke down! lol

Reply to
pete