Slow down

Hello,
I seem to have a problem with SW slowing down after a period.
In my previous installation it worked great for a few months then
started slowing down. By that I mean it would take forever for the
cursor to change from say the rotate icon to the arrow icon when I moved
it over a tool bar. I could hover the cursor over a line on a part and
the line would not change colors to indicate I was near it. When I
attempt to use smart dimension to size a sketch it takes 20 or more
seconds to acknowledge that I have moved the cursor.
The graphics seem to be OK as I can use the 3D rotate and it rotates as
fast as I can move the mouse so I'm inclined to think it's not a
graphics driver problem.
About 2 weeks ago I reformated and re-installed everything.
SW worked great until a few days ago. Now it's back to doing the same thing.
Any ideas?
Thanks
James
Reply to
James
"James" a écrit dans le message de news:jKQke.981$gO1.223@okepread06...
Is it just SW, or all apps? If it is the case, are you sure you are free of spyware? Do you install or try other apps besides?
Reply to
Jean Marc

Scott
I had a problem with a missing toolbar and other users pointed me to using Regedit to delete a SolidWorks folder of preferences that not only got my toolbars back, but sped up SolidWorks a lot. But that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Mike Tripoli on March 10, put up a long post which every SWks user should have copied out.
Search this newsgroup for "optimize your system" and Mike's long post will be at the top. Read it, live it.
Good luck - Bo
Reply to
Bo
bo is accurate in his registry hack here. i have been using it over the last 2 months to get SWx running better. before you do the registry hack run the SWx Copy Settings Wizard to retrieve the users settings in SWx. then i edit the registry under the Hkey_current_user and rename the SWx directory (just in case you need to go back). then start a session of SWx and close it. then apply the user settings to SWx. now i have had one problem with this and it was on a user that had MoldFlow software installed. we had to re-install the MoldFlow package to get it running again. anyway this will help, but follow Bo's advice and review the "optimize your system" postings. iQ
Bo wrote:
Reply to
iQ
I'm blushing... ;^)
MT
Reply to
Mike Tripoli
Both Scott and Mike reference blackviper.com. This site is no longer up AFAIK.
Reply to
TOP
I've noticed the same sporadically, even after having utilized the info in Mike Tripoli's post (although that info helped me speed up Windows XP a bit). One potential cause for problems is my GeForce card (drivers not hacked -- yet) which will slow things down once I have opened 4 windows in SolidWorks, but there does seem to be something in SolidWorks' code that isn't releasing memory as it should. In my case the problem is consistently solved by either just closing SolidWorks and restarting it, or at worst by rebooting. If those tactics aren't helping you then let us know.
'Sporky'
Reply to
Sporkman
Hi, My system is pretty optimized as it sets. I use XPLite
to remove most unwanted things such as Messenger, Terminal Services, Error reporting etc.. It's slim and trim. I've got 26 processes running at the time I open Solidworks. My computer is a 2.6ghz AMD with 1.0gig RAM, 120gig HD, ATI 9800 Pro w/256megs, Swap file is on a separate disk, Temp directory is on a separate disk. I have Spybot and anti virus running. No spyware. No viruses. No extra programs such as Yahoo messenger etc.. Basic stuff. All other programs run per normal. Autocad etc.. I went thru the optimizations on Mike's site and most didn't pertain to me as it's a clean install with the above mentioned tweaks. One thing that does stand out is.. a few days ago I loaded the software from emachineshop. It had some kind of problem with the graphics and loaded something. Not sure what it was. Another hint is when I went to install DeskCNC it said my GL driver was out of date and I needed version 1.1 How much does SW use OpenGL ? I have all the latest drivers, SP2, Directx9.0c etc..
Any thoughts?
James
Sporkman wrote:
Reply to
James
Did you ever run SpecAPC? It lists all the OGL features used in the run.
Reply to
TOP
OK, I give! I can't find where the preferences are saved, I did a search and still nothing in the solidworks folders.
Keith
Reply to
Keith Streich
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2005
If you blow away this key (or rename it) then SW will recreate it from the LM key and you start over with the default settings.
WT
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany
ok... what about piping...
Is there a tweak that can give that a good swift kick in the butt?
...(clip)...
Reply to
Aussie
Regards, Scott
Reply to
Scott
TOP, I did run the benchmark and my system has been running normal since. Weird.. I thought the benchmark was only to find where the bottleneck is. It must have done something somewhere. I've been using it all morning and it's fast as ever.
Strange.
T> Did you ever run SpecAPC? It lists all the OGL features used in the > run.
Reply to
James
The benchmark probably sets some options, so that results will be more comparable from machine to machine and run to run. The readme for the benchmark ought to tell what it sets. Perhaps you had inadvertently set one of those options to a "bad" value that was causing the slowdown. Given your original description of the symptoms, this seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's at least a possibility.
Jerry Steiger