Slow down

Hello, I seem to have a problem with SW slowing down after a period. In my previous installation it worked great for a few months then started slowing down. By that I mean it would take forever for the cursor to change from say the rotate icon to the arrow icon when I moved it over a tool bar. I could hover the cursor over a line on a part and the line would not change colors to indicate I was near it. When I attempt to use smart dimension to size a sketch it takes 20 or more seconds to acknowledge that I have moved the cursor. The graphics seem to be OK as I can use the 3D rotate and it rotates as fast as I can move the mouse so I'm inclined to think it's not a graphics driver problem.

About 2 weeks ago I reformated and re-installed everything. SW worked great until a few days ago. Now it's back to doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

James

Reply to
James

"James" a écrit dans le message de news:jKQke.981$gO1.223@okepread06...

Is it just SW, or all apps? If it is the case, are you sure you are free of spyware? Do you install or try other apps besides?

Reply to
Jean Marc

Run some benchmarks.

Read "XPTC".

Reply to
TOP

Scott

I had a problem with a missing toolbar and other users pointed me to using Regedit to delete a SolidWorks folder of preferences that not only got my toolbars back, but sped up SolidWorks a lot. But that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mike Tripoli on March 10, put up a long post which every SWks user should have copied out.

Search this newsgroup for "optimize your system" and Mike's long post will be at the top. Read it, live it.

Good luck - Bo

Reply to
Bo

I'm blushing... ;^)

MT

Reply to
Mike Tripoli

Both Scott and Mike reference blackviper.com. This site is no longer up AFAIK.

Reply to
TOP

I've noticed the same sporadically, even after having utilized the info in Mike Tripoli's post (although that info helped me speed up Windows XP a bit). One potential cause for problems is my GeForce card (drivers not hacked -- yet) which will slow things down once I have opened 4 windows in SolidWorks, but there does seem to be something in SolidWorks' code that isn't releasing memory as it should. In my case the problem is consistently solved by either just closing SolidWorks and restarting it, or at worst by rebooting. If those tactics aren't helping you then let us know.

'Sporky'

Reply to
Sporkman

Hi, My system is pretty optimized as it sets. I use XPLite

to remove most unwanted things such as Messenger, Terminal Services, Error reporting etc.. It's slim and trim. I've got 26 processes running at the time I open Solidworks. My computer is a 2.6ghz AMD with 1.0gig RAM, 120gig HD, ATI 9800 Pro w/256megs, Swap file is on a separate disk, Temp directory is on a separate disk. I have Spybot and anti virus running. No spyware. No viruses. No extra programs such as Yahoo messenger etc.. Basic stuff. All other programs run per normal. Autocad etc.. I went thru the optimizations on Mike's site and most didn't pertain to me as it's a clean install with the above mentioned tweaks. One thing that does stand out is.. a few days ago I loaded the software from emachineshop. It had some kind of problem with the graphics and loaded something. Not sure what it was. Another hint is when I went to install DeskCNC it said my GL driver was out of date and I needed version 1.1 How much does SW use OpenGL ? I have all the latest drivers, SP2, Directx9.0c etc..

Any thoughts?

James

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
James

Did you ever run SpecAPC? It lists all the OGL features used in the run.

Reply to
TOP

OK, I give! I can't find where the preferences are saved, I did a search and still nothing in the solidworks folders.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2005

If you blow away this key (or rename it) then SW will recreate it from the LM key and you start over with the default settings.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

ok... what about piping...

Is there a tweak that can give that a good swift kick > >

...(clip)...

Reply to
Aussie

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

TOP, I did run the benchmark and my system has been running normal since. Weird.. I thought the benchmark was only to find where the bottleneck is. It must have done something somewhere. I've been using it all morning and it's fast as ever.

Strange.

T> Did you ever run SpecAPC? It lists all the OGL features used in the > run.

Reply to
James

The benchmark probably sets some options, so that results will be more comparable from machine to machine and run to run. The readme for the benchmark ought to tell what it sets. Perhaps you had inadvertently set one of those options to a "bad" value that was causing the slowdown. Given your original description of the symptoms, this seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's at least a possibility.

Jerry Steiger