SW2004 sketch normal to screen option, OFF?

Does anyone know if there is a setting to turn off the sketch normal to screen?? Each time I start a sketch or do an extrusion the damn gui moves/rotates the sketch normal to the screen or 2D etch-a-sketch mode!?

Ya know, I realize they are trying to cater to the 2D users but this is idoit proof stuff is getting out of hand. PTC was doing this years ago as well and at least they gave the users a config.pro on/off option.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

It only happens to me on the first sketch when creating a new part.... The part stays in it's current orientation on all subsequent sketches I create.

I thought there was once an option for that long ago, but I can't seem to find it now.

D. Short

Actually if you go back to 2003 it does not do this. I kind of like it, for our new users anyway. Nothing is more frustrating for a new user than starting the first sketch and not being able to draw because they are in the wrong view orientation. Like Paul said, it only seems to happen with the first sketch. The next sketch you are most likely going to pick a face. It would be nice to have a toggle to turn it off and on though.

Reply to
SWuser

David,

Actually, it depends. Since I work with surfaces it will reorient the view on subsequent sketches as well as resize the image when doing a surface extrude. With solids it seems to be limited to the first sketch but still resizes/adjust the image per extrusion/cut.

Yeah, I thought I remember some setting as well and I know I have asked this question before but can not find the answer so, that's why I'm asking.

It's very irritating and I can only imagine some anal marketing twit who saw Pro/e or IV work once/twice in his/her life is fixated on having this lame reorientation/resize operation and they think it's kewl. So, whoever you are that initiated this feature? It sucks! It's amateurish looking and NOT PRODUCTIVE! Ah, but I can imagine, it looks kewl during demos and maybe even hypnotic to some degree?? ... you are getting sleepy,... you will buy our product,....good....now, open a P.O., for SW...

.. 8^/

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Well, Paul, although I tend to agree with your opinion of the function the solution is as simple as Ctrl-Shift-Z (previous view).

'Spork'

Paul Salvador wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Ah, you've got to be joking? That's no solution.

Just give the users a option which turns off a lame reorientation feature to attract 2D users.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Well if it's not a solution then it's at least a quick and pretty painless workaround. Sure it's worth asking SolidWorks Corp to fix it ... but considering the likely time lag it's worth getting used to the keystroke combo. I do it without even looking -- takes me about half a sec. 'Course if you're a hunt-and-pecker by nature then it IS a problem. (Not trying to be a smart-ass here, Paul, but sometimes I succeed nicely at that anyway -- by nature. )

'Spork'

-------------------- Paul Salvador wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Even quicker is setting the hotkey "B" (back) to previous view. I use that all the time.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

smartass - haven't picked that one up in five years of Swx

doh...

Reply to
Chris

Don't be too hard on yourself - it's a key you have to set, rather than a SW standard one. I have an Excel file that I have kept up to date (as far as I know) except for SW2004 that lists all the hotkeys. Email if you want a copy.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Cheers, Wayne.

I've assigned hotkeys to many things, but always go hunting for the telescope/eyeglass and arrow icon.

Open slot, insert beer...

message

Reply to
Chris

To take it a step further (I do something similiar) with:

i = Isometric View p = Previous View n = Normal View

Reply to
kema

Hi Paul,

On viewing this thread, I think that what we all need is the solidworks equivilent to what the dreaded autocad has had for eons - an EXPERT mode.

Not only should we not be forced to ALWAYS sketch normal to a plane if we choose not, but we should also not need to see many of those superfluous reminder warnings, useless dialogues that really should say something like "Yes I Did Really Intend To Make This Change, An As God As My Witness, As A Long Time User Of SolidWorks I Fully Understand The Ramifications Of The Change And Have Consulted My Lawyer And With Full Awareness Would Like To Proceed With The Intended Change Already Without Any Hand Holding If You Don't Mind Too Much."

As an expert, I would simply like to delete 10 configs or features at a whack if I so choose. No questions, no answers, no delete confirmation, just delete them like I requested. I also know that if I save a file to a new name without the copy option, all the open docs will be aware of this. I understood that fully after the 1746th time I did it, etc., etc., etc.

My point being - It's time for solidworks to implement an expert mode.

Don't get me wrong. Solidworks is great, especially for the new user. All the "feedback" from the UI is good and useful and necessary patricularly in the beginning, but after 5 years with the software, it no longer is needed and it is actually a hinderance to productivity . . .

I would also vote for the removal of the word PLEASE from any and all solidworks messages, but particularly those in which the programer is obsequiously trying to smooth out sub-par performance. I don't need polite hand-holding politically correct software. One message that comes to mind is "Rebuilding. Please Wait . . ." If they insist on keeping this, then at the end of the rebuild, there should be a few second flash saying "Thank You! Your Patience Is Appreciated! We Hope You Enjoyed Your Flight . . . "

Expert Mode Needed . . .

Regards,

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

good stuff snipped...........

You can get around many annoying prompts with PTFB (Press the Freakin' Button). Download from

. The prompts don't completely disappear, but you can set PTFB to answer and dismiss the prompt in 1 second.

I still agree that an expert mode is needed. At the very least, there should be a "Don't show this again." check box on these prompts.

Art Woodbury

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Just a comment, PTFB can be set to zero seconds.

I'm also in agreement on this.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yep, I engaged mouth before brain. The setting of zero seconds *is* the minimum, but the intercept isn't fast enough to completely wipe out the prompt or the alert sound that goes with it.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Awwww, what a boring party pooper! :-) Isn't it nice that you are able to do that to suit your purposes? I think a lot of time people don't stop to think of all that you CAN do with Windows apps. Rather people tend to focus on the negatives.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany