Layers vent

Can anyone explain to me why, after 23 releases of Pro Engineer, something as simple as removing an entity like a datum plane from a layer is still such a f***ing problem? Why can I still try it 3 or 4 different ways and the f***ing datum planes are still on their f***ing layers? And it's not the first time in case you were wondering...........

Reply to
Gra-gra

Here's another one. Maybe somone has an answer for this.

I have a master part with layers. In an assembly I merge (reference) this part into a series of child parts. These parts get the same layers with the same surfaces, curves, datum planes on them as per the master part. Of course now these surfaces, curves, datum planes are not now separate features but are part of feature #1, the merge. I don't want the same level of complexity of layers in the child parts but when I try to delete the bloody layers they pop up again later on. Is there a config.pro setting that changes the associativity of layers with the parent part?

Reply to
Gra-gra

I was checking out config.pro to try to answer another post and decided to see what I could 'find' on 'layer'. This one looks interesting, maybe worth a closer look because it refers to an interface for selecting assemblies and layers. The option is intf_in_layer_asm_dialog which might apply to reference parts in assemblies as well as imported geometry.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Not that it helps with your legacy parts, but other data sharing features like ExtCopyGeom do not bring in the layers of the referenced part.

- Wallace

Reply to
Wallace White

I know, but I don't like that command, it's not really parametric IMO.

Reply to
Gra-gra

Here's another one. I have several default layers. Someone else who was checking my work on another computer has different default layers on their system. Now every time I regen my assembly these bloody extra layers come up again. I delete them and they keep reappearing. They are not set as default layers on my config.pro and do not reference any common files. How do i stop them from reappearing?

Reply to
Gra-gra

referenced

Hmm, I'm curious what you mean by that. Could you explain?

- Wallace

When you copy geometry, you can pick any group of surfaces, regardless of how they're made or what feature they belong to. If your model changes you often have to redefine the copy geom (in assembly mode) to add the extra surfaces.

If, for example, you grab the surfaces of a round feature, and maybe the edge changes and the number of surface pieces in the round changes, then your copy geom ignores that extra bit of surface and you wind up with a gap. At least, that's how I remember it. Maybe intent surfaces can be used now in copy geom?

Reply to
Gra-gra

--snip--

--snip--

I believe that to help the feature propogation, you can also 'publish' features, like groups of surfaces. This allows you to associate the copy geom function to the published data, and is more easily kept organized.

This is what I remember from v2001, as I don't have copy geom in WF :-(

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

Sounds like your company has Pro/MODELCHECK running in batch mode. It tries to enforce certain rules about model construction, parameters, views, layers and a bunch of other stuff. In particular, it adds/deletes layers, moves items to layers, removes items duplicated on multiple layers. It does this unattended, during off hours and goes through any changed files, often in conjunction with the pdm system. If it were available for all users, you'd find it under 'Analysis>Model Check' and you could run your own check and get a report of what doesn't match the criteria set up for checking and which it deems in need of fixing. If they had but a single license and ran it in batch mode, you might never even know they had Model Check.

There is no other functionality, within Pro/e or Intralink, which automatically brings about the changes you're experiencing with layers. It is *not* normal functioning for layers to resist deletion or undelete themselves. Also, other people's def_layer setups in config.pro have no influence on files that were not created on that host as the def_layer settings work *only* when a file is created. It does *not* come along behind you and restore deleted layers: even Pro/GOOFY isn't that goofy! If you'd like to check where, besides your workstation, your files are being altered, look at 'Info>Audit Trail' which shows information from the file header about every hostname that has opend and saved the file. BTW, a checker notating your drawings with Markup Mode shouldn't alter your files or even require saving them. But, while files are at WIP level, anyone in an authorized group can do anything they like with the files unless a pdm checkout procedure is preventing them. Once checked back in at WIP level, they're fair game. Once again, though, this is looking outside the normal functioning of config.pro and def_layer.

Good luck, let us know what you figure out. It's not an easy one, that's for sure.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yes, you can use intent surfaces and chains in the data sharing features (CopyGeom, ExtCopyGeom, PublishGeom). Also you can select quilts rather than individual surfaces. Same goes for complete datum curve features instead of individual curve entities.

All of these can be selected in the "Misc Refs" section of the data sharing feature. I advocate using Misc Refs rather than individual surface, edge, or curve references for the reason you point out, and also because Misc Refs gives a nice list of the referenced features.

- Wallace

Reply to
Wallace White