Layers & blocks...

I was given the task of creating a floor plan of our 3 plants in Solidworks. Now, I would usually go back and use Acad for this type of work, and hadn't done one in SWx before, but as the higher authorities I guess want to play with equipment locations and the such they want it in Swx and since we only have one seat of Acad, and a bunch of SWx licenses...

Anyway, it's not to bad to do it, working just with the sketching tools on a

2-D drawing. However, I do have a question about layers, as I don't generally use them with SWx.

1st: In Acad you can lock/Freeze layers - This does not seem to be an option in SWx unless I'm missing it? I don't want anyone screwing around with the "Structure" layer (building, walls, etc) while they play with the equipment which is on a seperate layer.

2nd: All the equipment are saved as individual blocks. The block folder appears in the tree as you would expect, but I will have over a hundred blocks by the time I'm done. It would be nice if I could create sub-folders so I can organize the equipment blocks into catagories, but it seems you can't make folders, then move blocks to the sub folders. At the very least it seems you can't drag and reorganize the blocks up or down to group them together either which would be a nice alternate. They simply exist in the order they were created/brought in. Does anyone know if I'm issing something or if this can be done? It'd be nice to have the multitude of different Star's, Mori's, Omni's, Haas's, as well as convention machining, etc grouped together in different folders...

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

IYM

Reply to
IYM

If you have a bunch of SW licenses, then you have a bunch of DWGeditors available.

There isn't a lock/freeze layer. You can constrain blocks w/ "fix" to keep them from moving.

Reply to
That70sTick

Thanks for the reply...I agree about the Dwgeditor as this is what we had done in the past, and I voiced my opinion, but this is what it is...

It's the blocks that need to move. They are positioned normally right now with constraints and dimensions and this can be played with. The walls/stucture layer is fully constrained and I'm really not worried about it moving as a "whoops", but I didn't want anyone playing around creating offices for themselves in the middle of the shop or moving walls, etc.. Like I said, was just wondering if a freeze/lock was around and I was missing it...

Thanks for the help!

IYM

Reply to
IYM

Yes, your right in that I'm concerned with a footprint layout. Overhead is not an issue. I have a feeling that this is eventually is going to equate to something like having to do a layout of my living room and have my wife standing over my shoulder telling me to try the couch over there...no over here...etc.

Anyway, good idea, but wasn't too keen on having a lot of part files and such considering I'm already deep into the current method....

I may give that idea a shot though on our smaller plant to see how it works. If it works out better, I could always save the blocks out into sketches from this larger plant and extrude them...Thanks for the suggestion.

IYM

Reply to
IYM