Snap rolls?

When doing a roll combined with full elevator (snap roll?) it obviously behaves a little differently depending on whether it was full-up or full down on the elevator but you still get the same general over-all effect. But what is the right way to do it? Is there a certain reason when you would do one over the other? I know that for a real pilot one produces positive G's while the other does negative G's,...but in a model, who cares ;-).

Anyway, I would just like to get the "short-and-skinny" on it.

Reply to
Phillip Windell

A snap roll is a one-turn horizontal spin. When you do it with elevator down, you get an inverted (horizontal) spin. Your choice.

Reply to
John Miller

Reply to
Paul Ryan

From my meagre understanding, a snap is based around using the elevator to stall the wing, which effectively stops flying, and using the rudder to initiate the roll, which gives a result quite different to an aileron roll. The latter will tend to be axial, whereas a snap roll will be driven from the tail and results in more of a tumble around the CG.

You can combine a snap with ailerons to get a mega-fast roll, but I'm not sure what it's called.

As for up or down stick, they're both snaps, although up stick tends to be more common.

Reply to
Poxy

Poxy wrote: > As for up or down stick, they're both snaps, although up stick tends to be

...and in the cockpit, they feel *much* different.

Reply to
Noah Little

Paul Ryan wrote in news:6rgze.2636$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

So then it's like a tight barrel roll?

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

No, it is a horizontal spin, with one turn only.

Reply to
John Miller

The effect of the aileron + elevator is a sort of a barrel roll... yes.

The "classic" barrel roll would have the aircraft exit pointed 90 deg t the line of entry. (which a WWI biplane would naturally want to do usin aileron+elevator for a sort of loop + turn

-- fhhuber50677

----------------------------------------------------------------------- fhhuber506771's Profile:

this thread:

fhhuber506771

As defined by the IAC (International Aerobatic Club)...

"Snap rolls also have to be flown normally on a straight line. A snap roll is similar to a horizontal spin. It is an autorotation with one wing stalled."

CJ

Reply to
CJ

View this thread:

You learn something every day.

I thought a barrel roll was one in which the aircraft described a path as though it was sort of spiralling round the inside of a barrel rather than an axial roll in which the aircraft rotates round its longitudinal axis with no deviation from a straight path.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

You thought correctly.

Reply to
Noah Little

John Miller wrote in news:danaq5$prd$2 @n4vu2.n4vu.com:

Okay, gotcha. BTW, does countersteering improve aerobatics? ;-)

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Hummina hummina...well, sometimes opposite rudder does!

Reply to
John Miller

John Miller wrote in news:darh44$r27$ snipped-for-privacy@n4vu2.nvu.com:

Jest kidding, saw your post about motorcycles. I know what you mean though, sometimes slapping a little opposite rudder gets someone setup for aerobatics.

Slapping a little opposite rudder on an R/O plane gets it to break the spiral dive and put it in a loop.

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Thanks Noah,

My tongue was firmly embedded in my cheek when I posted.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher