Is the 480 motor powerfull enough?

We are about to start a combat wing at our club with the emphasis on economy.I have sourced an epp electric jet (very similar to the the Stryker in all respects)and I was wondering if the 480 motor would have enough grunt if coupled to a 35A ESC and a 8,4V 1100mAh nimh battery pack? Any input as to the performance of this setup would greatly be appreciated.

Democracy is the jewel of civilisation!

Reply to
Mamba

Speed 400 motors have been the standard pusher for a LOT of Zagi's and they fly quite well and are used for full contact combat. As with all of these little motors, you have to keep the current reasonable (10A -

12A or so) and the all up weight as low as possible.

BTW, a lynch mob is a democracy, so is 3 wolves and 1 sheep discussing what should be for dinner.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you are REALLY using a 480 motor you can push more current through it than a 400. I use to push 15 - 20A through a geared 480 in a small glider, but that was for only 60 - 120 seconds. You might try putting some numbers through MotoCalc or the likes.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Pretty much yes.

The graupner 480 or permax 450 turbo on 10cells or 3s LIPO is better, but more expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The long cans should be held to not much over 15A, the sagami 480/450's can be pushed a tad harder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my experience it is powerful enough and with proper use of the throttle you can get some nice vertical maneuvers from it. I don't have the combat module, but in mock combat I've found that you can get into some great vertical stuff and then at will pull power and fall out of it.

For landings, I've even started doing a flyby where I put in a vertical hammerhead and/or Immelman and then cut power to glide to a landing at my feet.

This seems much easier to me than working a typical pattern.

Reply to
dapple63

Hey D.H.

Do you really think LIPOs and full contact combat are a good idea? Hope your fire insurance is paid up....

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Your belligerence is only exceeded by your ignorance, and the pair exceeded by your incompetence.

You ARE George W Bush, and I claim my £5.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is why our founders actually created a "Democratic Republic", but most people don't seem to understand that,...particulary the young poeple. A full straight "democracy" by itself is just "mob rule".

But anyway, ..obviously OT for the group.

Reply to
Phillip Windell

Agree with (most) others that the 480 motor should be fine. I think the 1100 mAh battery choice is marginal though, as I expect they'll be running full throttle continuously in combat. Expect them to run hot and have a short life. I'd go with a more robust battery pack, say Sanyo 1950's.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

That was kinda' my point.....

The pledge does plainly state "and to the Republic for which it stands".

Even more off topic.....

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Hey D.H.,

I don't understand your response. You RECOMMENDED the use of a battery known by intelligent people and insurance companies for its flammable response to serious shock in an event that is assured to provide extreme pounding to a serious potential fire starter. I simply tried to ask if that was really a good idea. I guess you are sure it is good when someone's world goes up in smoke.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Ah. I am only following youir glorious leaders example! Moer shock awae and smoek makes better spectator sport for the folks back home and gets you re-elected!

LIPOS are not quite as fragile as you think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep!

Reply to