Walmart - Diecast Rolling Stock - WITH GRAFFITI

Saw these at Walmart, didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or both. Watch the line wrap. If you can't get it to work, Google on Maisto Enamelized Graffiti. Apparently, this is one way to get kids interested in model trains - by covering them with graffiti, and making that the SELLING POINT. Apparently, looking at the package, each highlights a different "artist".

I know, I know, I don't "get it", too old, etc. All of us in this hobby are artists to some degree, and I can appreciate the talents involved, but to me, it begs the question of why not put it on canvas instead of other people's property. And yes, I've heard the story about how putting it out on public display is integral to the art, a commentary on the dark side of urban life for youth, yadda, yadda, yadda.

And, I can even understand why some modelers put it on their rolling stock - hell, nine out of ten cars on the mixed freights around here are covered in it the stuff. Unit trains seem less likely to suffer from it, I'm guessing because they tend to keep moving.

I don't subscribe to the "hobby is dying" philosophy - I think it's changing, as all things do, over time. But somehow, this seems sad to me, that kids find the graffiti more appealing than the cars.

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz

Not only that, but they are 1:131 scale!

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

I could live with them selling the graffiti cars - I'd buy a few... and repaint them... and use them!

But PLEASE... "approximately 1:131"?!?!?

What kind of a screwed up proportion is THAT? Why didn't they use an EXISTING scale, instead of pulling some wacky one out of left field? Even 1:100, 1:120, 1:144, 1:160 (hint hint hint...)

1:131?!?! What were they thinking?
Reply to
Joe Ellis

They were thinking? Really?

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

What makes me laugh is the use of "who's" for "whose."

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Yea, their a bunch of loosers!

Reply to
Steve Caple

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:42:49 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and Steve Caple instead replied:

Ouch. That was so painful to read that my brain hurts.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

"each train will come with a card with info of the artist"

How the heck did he track down the so called artist? (he should teach the police that trick) And just what kind of info will be on those cards? Their prison record? What kind of drugs they take daily? The names of BOTH parents, if KNOWN? Wonder if each artist receives royalties of each one sold? Maybe they got a lump sum at the outset and it was already spent on more paint and drugs and guns.............GM

Reply to
Gary Mittner

Some years ago, on the BORDB CompuServe forum, some user was flaming a Borland TechSupport guy, and a number of TeamBorland volunteers (like me) and also some public members who were trying to help him get some basic relational database design stuff and Paradox programming approaches through his thick skull despite stubborn resistance. He overtemped and flamed out screaming "You're a looser! You loose!!" (but in ALL CAPS, natch).

I wondered if it were true, and in any case how did El Flameo come to be so intimately acquainted with the state of his erstwhile helper's bowels.

SInce then such illiteracy has only increased.

Reply to
Steve Caple

If you are modeling present day railroading, you simply must have it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Crocker

I have to agree. For all the articles on weathering, foliage, adding rust to the rails, etc, to say that you won't "deface" (as I have seen it put in other posts) your rolling stock is just plain ignoring reality.

Marc.

Reply to
marc

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Reply to
Drew

Sour-castic

Reply to
Gary Mittner

Are you seriously asking that question? Who could be serious about that schlock? Well, maybe somebody with a collection of personally signed and "highlighted" Thomas Kincaid sofa "art" . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

. . . like the National Enquirer is literature.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple spake thus:

Apples and oranges; the Enquirer is journalism, not literature.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

That's generous! Nat'l Enquirer is to journalism as Kincaid's smarmy mass produced schlock is to art. With the same flavor of exploitation.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple spake thus:

How can you say those terrible negative things about Thomas Kinkade? The "Painter of Light"? I started loving his work just after my frontal lobotomy; I'm even thinking about buying into his new community, "The Gates at Old Hawthorne" in Columbia, MO:

David Nebenzahl

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:05:24 -0700, David Nebenzahl posted in article ...

Jos Sances offers Kinkade in a new light (look closely):

My favorite is the warplanes (F-14s?) attacking the lighthouse.

Reply to
OvC

I've puchased a few of the MDC cars they did with graffitti. Heck, I've even got a Microscale graffitti set...works great to hide a bad decal job ;) (I was doing a car that the set only had one of the dimensional data, and I messed up one. So I put graffitti over the location to hide the lack of data :)

Reply to
me