P-51D/GT-350(?) ad

I have a recollection of what I think may have been a series of ads or set-up photos with aircraft and matched autos. The one I remember was an immaculate P-51D posed with a Ford Mustang, possibly a Shelby GT350. It might have been a Ford ad, a Shelby ad, or just some photographer's idea of fun. And there might have been others. Anyone remember this/these, and know where they were published? Or a way to see online? Now with the Trumpeter 1:24 P-51D a diorama suggests itself .

Ken D. .

Reply to
Ken D

I remember the ad - will do some digging & see if I still have it - I remember it really looked good...

Reply to
Bob B

i remember the ad, unsure of the car.

Plus a Supermarine & Triumph combo. I seem to recall seeing that ad, too.

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

Now all we need is a 1/24th F-86D and all the '56 Chrysler lineup....

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

former child who drooled over that ad......

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Or a 1/24 F-102A to go with the various XKE kits out there. Not referring to an ad of course, but the stunning Aurora box art.

Come to think of it, Renwal did an XKE in 1/48. Hmmm.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

It may have been either a poster or a calendar for a Roush Mustang. We had a photo shoot on our ramp about three or four years ago with 3 of his Roush Mustangs, and either one or both of his P-51D Mustangs.

Kos

Reply to
Kos

tr5, wasn't it?

right, but the triumph covered sevral model numbers for their spits, i believe. tr2 was the coolest.

that the 6 wheel? did mussolini' grandaughter get his?

Spitfire, both of them. Cool concept.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Used to park my Pyro 1/32 Mercedes-Benz SSK around a Revell 1/32 Bf

109G.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Nope - sorry, e.

The Mercedes SSK was a sportscar. Designed by Herr Doktor Porsche, no less. The G35 was the 6 wheeler. And somehow, I really doubt if Alessandra ever even saw Benito's old one.

Oh, and Triumph never used the "Tr" designation on Spitfires. The Tr-2, Tr-3, Tr-4, Tr-5(Tr-250 in the States) Tr-6, Tr-7 & Tr-8 were a couple of different lines of sportscars.....the Spitfire never had a "Tr" number, that I'm aware of. The hardtop/fastback version was known as the GT-6, however.

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

No; a Spitfire was a Spitfire. The Triumph TRs were distinctly different cars, from the TR-2 to the TR-7/8. Some of them were produced alongside the Spitfire, but the two only ever shared some running gear parts and very minor trim items. Not bodies.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

How about a 1978 Ford Thunderbird with a Nieuport 28?

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

I do remember seeing the Spitfire/Spitfire photo. Very nice, that would make another dio I'd enjoy. But is there a good Triumph Spitfire model in any scale?

Ken

Stephen Bierce wrote:

Reply to
Ken D

ok, now i get it. what were the tr's called?

How about an F-86 Saber Jet with any US car from 1957?

Reply to
Willshak

Aurora did a 1963 Triumph Spitfire in 1/32 - as well as a lot of other British "sporty cars" of that era - TR 3, MG TD etc.

I've no idea how "good" they might have been.

Peace and justice,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

an he 162 and a woody? me 163 and an rx7? hey, this could get silly post your funniest pick.