P-51D/GT-350(?) ad

57 chebby fer sure.

I don't recall them ever having names. AFAIK, they were just known by their numbers. I 'think' the TR4A was an improvement on the original TR4. Also, they put out a GT6 which was, from the outside, a Spitfire with a fastback coupe roof. I know little about the innards. There was a

1/25th GT6 kit available from Pyro, and maybe Lindberg too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Pretty basic, as I recall. I built a Ferarri once and it wasn't an AMT kit by any stretch.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yeah, Manfred's a good one - just like his Papa. Himmler's kids? Cyanide in the bunker, by Mamma's own hand. All 6 of 'em. They went with the rest of the Loonies.

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

he had more. oldest boy was in the army and not the bunker. so says mr keegan, anyway.

i do know that to keep one running, you pull the electrics out and replace with a different brand....any different brand. lucas electric, the prince of darkness! my friend had a tr3 bug eye, (i think it was a 3) and we went nuts trying to keep it running but there were always problems with something electric until we pulled every piece if wire, socket and connector and replace with i think, delco. my tr6r bike has a boyer-bransden electronic ignition and much higher powered 12v coils from a 'vette. good, hot spark all the time, plus a rectifyer to run the lights off the battery.

you sure it was lucas? there were other brit makers.

Ah - my bad. I was thinking Goebbels, not Himmler. Every now & then I get those 2 swapped. Sheesh.

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

yeah, one super slimey nazi scumbag is a lot like another super slimey nazi scumbag

I've heard a lot of that but my Austin America never had any troubles with the electrics. The motor/transmission was the bugaboo with that one. It's the only car I ever owned that I had to fill up the oil and check the gas. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

30 years on I could be wrong. It was wrecked so I'm not likely to be able to ask the new owner either. I have no idea what he hit but it must have been tough as those things had thick skins. 'Twas a lovely little car on the whole. Shame about the drivetrain.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

No; once again another model. In fact, another *brand*. The 'bug-eye' ('frog-eye' to UK correspondents) was an *Austin-Healey Sprite*, which later morphed with the same body/chassis, but a different front end, into the MG Midget.

You're not really 'up' on old English sports cars, are you?

-- C.R. Krieger Been there; done that.

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

no, just the bikes. but i would swear there was a truimph with sperate lights that sat on top of the fenders. that's what i meant by bug eyed. we had a four door healy when i was a kid. don't know the model but it had idiot stick turn signals on the door pillars. it was drafty and slow.

Indeed, all the early Triumphs - TR-2, TR-3, TR-3A - had a headlight arrangement which was very similar to the early AH Sprites and could properly be termed "bug-eyed". Although, by convention the term is usually reserved for the Sprites to distinguish them from the later, more conventionally styled Sprites which were MG Midget clones.

When Triumph went to a more conventional arrangement, they changed the model designation to TR-4, unlike the Sprites which kept the same name when it changed body style. Thus "bug-eyed" was used to distinguish the earlier Sprites from the later models of the same name while the distinction was unnecessary with the Triumphs as ALL TR-3s and TR-3As were "bug-eyed" and ALL TR-4s were not.

Cheers and all,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

OK; I'll grant that the early TR-1/2/3 series had kinda' froggy eyes. But there were very different cars from the Sprite in a couple of real obvious ways. The Sprite body had all the style of a bar of soap. Straight, flat, slightly rounded sides. And they were tiny in all respects. The TR-series were bigger and they had some styling touches that the size of the Sprite probably couldn't handle. Front and rear fenders swooped up over the wheels and down toward the back both on the bodysides (to about the middle of the rear fender) and on the rear fenders, to low taillights. The doors were also cut down from front to rear to match the fender sweep angle. They are unmistakeable from the side, especially compared to a Sprite. Hope that helps.