Re: Ship Museums for Destroyers?

> seems like there are nothing but cruiser, battleship and aircraft > carriers that have been turned into museums. my grandfather was on the > USS Strong in WWII (taken out by a Long Lance I believe) and was > curious if any DD's of that class still exist, or are all the DD's gone? > > thx -Craig
Reply to
Ron

Well, I am not a very strong ships guy, but here is what my Janes has on that subject.

The Strong (DD758) was a Sumner class DD launched April 23, 1944 and commissioned 8 March,1945. 33 of the class, including the Strong were modified under the Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM II) program post war.

It also states that

"all surviving ships of the 70-destroyer "Allen M. Sumner" class have been stricken or transferred to other navies.....Ships of this class serve in the navies of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Greece, Iran, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey and Venezuela."

My Janes is an 1995 edition so I don't know if any of those are still in service with any of those countries.

As a general statement regarding Destroyers, there is one open to the public as a museum ship in Bremerton, WA.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

Kidd is in Baton Rouge, right on the river. Last time I was through there, it was in great shape - it looked like you could put a crew aboard & be ready to sail in a month. The adjacent onshore museum is great as well, with lots of ship models on display.

There's a DE (along with a sub) in a park in Galveston. I don't remember the name of the ship, or the park, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. It was in pretty bad shape when I saw it.

I believe

has a complete listing of museum ships.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski
"

Jane's said the Strong was modified after the war? Wonder if they used the name again for another DD as my grandfather's ship was cut in two in a very different type of modification..... 1943 I think in the Kula Gulf.

Craig

Reply to
who me?

Norman:

That would be the second U.S.S. Strong. The U.S. Navy has a habit of naming new ships after ships lost in action to carry on the name's traditions, etc. According to "U.S. Destroyers" by Norman Friedmann, Naval Inst.Press.,:

DD467: U.S.S. Strong, Bath Ironworks, Launched May 17, 1942. War Loss July 5, 1943.

DD758: U.S.S. Strong, Beth., SF, Launched April 23, 1944. Transferred to Brazil Oct. 31, 1973.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey